Solar panel wires shorted togather

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a solar panel rated at 20 volts and 6 amps, which is connected to 4 12 gauge copper wires (2 for ground and 2 for positive) that are 50 feet long. It is mentioned that if the positive and negative wires are shorted together, the wire will get warmer but is not likely to fail. The conversation also mentions the use of a battery and a tall tower for grounding purposes, and suggests using a TVS to protect the positive side.
John1397
I have a solar panel rated 20 volts and 6 amps power comes in on 4 12 gauge copper wires 2 for ground and 2 for positive and it is 50 feet long if positive and negative are shorted togather will the wire get warm?

Engineering news on Phys.org
John1397 said:
I have a solar panel rated 20 volts and 6 amps power comes in on 4 12 gauge copper wires 2 for ground and 2 for positive and it is 50 feet long if positive and negative are shorted togather will the wire get warm?
Yes, wire temperature will increase.

I think a 12 gauge wire will carry 20A so two wires 40A. The short circuit current from your PV array isn't likely to be much greater than the rated 6A so yes the wire will get warmer but I don't think it would fail.

John1397 said:
if positive and negative are shorted togather will the wire get warm?
Is there a reason you are asking this? Do you anticipate some condition where the wires could get shorted?

If there's a battery at their far end, and that battery discharges backward into the short circuit, yes you might make some trouble.

I want to ground both positive and negative to ground this is mounted on a tall tower and when lighting strikes this will give a path to ground.

John1397 said:
I want to ground both positive and negative to ground this is mounted on a tall tower and when lighting strikes this will give a path to ground.
It's going to be kind of hard to draw power out of a shorted solar panel, no?

Instead, ground the - side and use a TVS from + to ground to protect the + side.

Likes Asymptotic

1. What causes solar panel wires to short together?

Solar panel wires may short together due to accidental damage, faulty connections, or exposure to extreme weather conditions.

2. How can I prevent solar panel wires from shorting together?

To prevent solar panel wires from shorting together, it is important to regularly inspect and maintain the panels, ensure all connections are secure, and protect the panels from harsh elements.

3. Can a shorted solar panel wire cause a fire?

While it is possible for a shorted solar panel wire to cause a fire, it is unlikely. Solar panels are designed with safety mechanisms and regulations in place to prevent such incidents.

4. Is it safe to touch a shorted solar panel wire?

No, it is not safe to touch a shorted solar panel wire. If you suspect a wire is shorted, always turn off the power source and consult a professional for assistance.

5. Can a shorted solar panel wire damage the entire solar panel system?

In most cases, a shorted solar panel wire will only affect the specific panel it is connected to. However, if the short is not addressed and the issue persists, it can potentially cause damage to other components of the solar panel system.