Wiring 3/4 HP Submersible Well Pump - Is #10 OK?

In summary, the individual had a senior moment and wired a 3/4 hp submersible well pump with #10 wire at the top of the casing instead of #12 wire. They are wondering if this is still electrically sufficient as long as the breaker never exceeds 20 amps. However, it is important to consult with a licensed electrician as different areas have different electrical codes. If the motor is 120V, a 20 amp breaker is suitable for a 3/4 hp motor, but it is important to check the motor labeling or manual for the exact amperage.
Cawagner
TL;DR Summary
mixing 2 wire gauges for submersible well pump
3/4 hp submersible well pump with #12 wire at top of casing from pump. I had a senior moment and wired from the panel to the pressure switch and switch to top of casing with #10. I am thinking I am ok as long as the breaker never exceeds 20 amps. Just want to make sure. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electrically, if #12 copper would have been sufficient for the entire run, then a combination of #10 and #12 copper would also be electrically sufficient.

However, different cities/states/countries have different electrical codes. I would suggest you consult with a licensed electrician.

If we are talking 120V, then a 20Amp breaker is OK for a 3/4 HP motor is this kind of application. According to the motor labeling or the manual, how many amps does the motor draw?

Likes berkeman, jim mcnamara and russ_watters

1. Can I use #10 wire for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump?

It is recommended to use #10 wire for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump. This wire size is suitable for the amount of power needed to run the pump and can handle the load without overheating.

2. What is the maximum distance #10 wire can be used for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump?

The maximum distance for #10 wire to be used for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump is approximately 200 feet. Beyond this distance, the wire may not be able to provide enough power to the pump, resulting in decreased performance or potential damage.

3. Can I use a different wire size for my 3/4 HP submersible well pump?

While #10 wire is the recommended size for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump, you may be able to use a slightly smaller or larger wire size depending on the specific requirements of your pump and well. It is best to consult with a professional electrician to determine the appropriate wire size for your specific setup.

4. Is it safe to use #10 wire for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump?

Yes, it is safe to use #10 wire for a 3/4 HP submersible well pump as long as it is installed correctly and meets all local electrical codes. It is important to ensure that the wire is properly grounded and protected from damage to ensure safe operation.

5. Can I install the #10 wire for my 3/4 HP submersible well pump myself?

While it is possible to install the #10 wire for your 3/4 HP submersible well pump yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional electrician for this task. They will have the knowledge and experience to properly install the wire and ensure it meets all safety standards and codes.