Solar Powered Light for Shop Display

In summary, solar powered lights are an environmentally friendly and cost-effective option for shop displays. These lights use solar panels to convert sunlight into energy, eliminating the need for electricity and reducing energy costs. They also have a long lifespan and require minimal maintenance. Additionally, solar powered lights do not contribute to greenhouse gas emissions, making them a sustainable choice for businesses. With their ability to provide bright and consistent lighting, they are an ideal option for highlighting products in shop displays.
LG911
Hi All,

Please forgive me as its a few years since I did my A-Level Physics. However I am now a retail designer and just trying to figuring out how to light a shop window using Solar Power.

I'm pretty sure its not possible but I am determined to do the maths to prove that its not. I need to light a shop window, however it is in a mall. The window will be lit from large lights above, however I was wondering whether these large lights would be able to power smaller spots using solar panels. The idea being that if we used solar panels we could put certain spotlights in locations that are unreachable by wires. I understand that this is highly inefficient, but as the light is shining from above already the question was posed in the office as to whether it could be done?

So I have the spot lights I would like to use and an example of a solar panel. I can't find an equation to calculate the power of light that would be needed above to power the smaller spotlights. Some of the initial calcs (Rusty physics knowledge from my school days) are laid out below.

LED Spot light
4w @12vdc

4/12= 0.34amps
0.34amps x 8hours = 2.67amp-hours

Solar Panel

Output voltage: 18V
Output current: 277mA
Output power: 5W

5Wx8hrs = 40Wh s
40whs/12 = 3.3amp-hours

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Luke

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there

I think you will find that your main problem will be that the stated output of your panel is what it will achieve
(at maximum) under full sunlight.
Its going to be significantly less than that when illuminated by a small spotlight

It would be worth experimenting with a panel just to see what you may get.

another thing to keep in mind is that the ratings that are usually given for a panel
are its open circuit voltage. It will drop somewhat under load and the amount of voltage drop will vary
depending on how "heavy" the load is

cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right, I'll just have to do a bit of trial and error and see what happens.

These are what I was thinking of using:

LED Light: http://www.beamled.com/4w-biard-led...69WviMRS5D997lqUJD8MGw1UzE56uZPzo_BoC6V_w_wcB

Solar Panel: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18V-5W-277mA-Mini-Solar-Panel-Module-DIY-for-Phone-Toys-Charger-/301239984745?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item46234d6269

Would you recommend a Solar Panel that runs at a higher voltage to account for the drop?

I'm thinking it might be better to use mirrors and focus light from spots above.

Cheers,

Luke

I am pretty sure that the PV solution is a non starter. PV performance is based on 1kW/sq metre. In a mall,the illumination will be much less than that. Outside is always significantly brighter and internal lighting comes from just one direction to avoid shady spots in the shopping areas. If you want a 'source' of light to appear in the shop window, you would probably be better to do it optically - using mirrors to reflect and focus light from the external lamps onto parts of the window display. For a given area of light receptor (PV or mirror) you will get the same amount of incident light flux and the efficiency of a parabolic mirror (or large Fresnel Lens) plus sub reflectors could well be a lot higher than a PV system. Using a large mirror for the floor could be good value (but the colour would be a bit boring).

However, I don't think any system could ever be 'startlingly impressive'. Using parabolic mirrors would actually be very much like a Camera Obscura and they are usually viewed in a darkened room. The brightness of any images projected on the display would be a lot less than that of the outside lights. The reflectors / lenses would need to be pretty huge and obscure the display, reducing the ambient light. I guess mirrors could be positioned on the upper wall of a building opposite.

If you want inaccessible (by wire) places to be lit in the display, why not use mains powered projector lights and have mirrors near where you want the illumination to reach? Did you consider optical fibres?

Dear Luke,

I appreciate your determination to explore the possibility of using solar power for shop display lighting. While it may not be a common practice in the retail industry, it is certainly worth considering in terms of sustainability and cost-effectiveness in the long run.

Based on your calculations, it seems that the solar panel you have can generate enough power to supply the LED spotlights for 8 hours. However, there are a few factors to consider in determining whether this setup would be feasible for your specific shop window.

Firstly, the efficiency of the solar panel needs to be taken into account. The output power of 5W may not be achieved in real-world conditions, as it is usually measured under ideal conditions in a laboratory. The efficiency of a solar panel is affected by factors such as temperature, shading, and orientation towards the sun. It would be helpful to research the efficiency of your specific solar panel model to get a more accurate estimate of its output power.

Secondly, the placement and direction of the solar panel also play a crucial role in its efficiency. If the solar panel is not getting direct sunlight for a significant portion of the day, its output power will be significantly reduced. Additionally, if the solar panel is not facing the sun at the optimal angle, its efficiency will also be affected. It would be beneficial to assess the location of your shop window and determine if there is a suitable spot to install the solar panel for maximum efficiency.

Lastly, the wattage and number of LED spotlights you plan to use also need to be considered. The wattage you have calculated for the LED spotlights assumes that they will be operating at full power for 8 hours. In reality, they may not need to be at full power for the entire duration, and you may be able to use fewer spotlights to achieve the desired lighting effect. This would also help to reduce the power needed from the solar panel.

In conclusion, while it may be possible to use solar power for your shop display lighting, it would require careful consideration of various factors such as solar panel efficiency, placement, and LED spotlight wattage. I would suggest consulting with a solar energy expert to assess the feasibility of your idea and to potentially provide alternative solutions that may better suit your specific needs.

Best of luck with your project.

Sincerely,

1. How does a solar powered light work?

A solar powered light uses photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity. This electricity is then stored in a battery and used to power the light when it is dark outside. Some solar lights also have a sensor that turns the light on automatically when it detects low light levels.

2. What are the benefits of using solar powered lights for shop displays?

Using solar powered lights for shop displays can save money on energy costs, reduce carbon emissions, and provide a more environmentally friendly lighting option. Additionally, these lights do not require any wiring or installation, making them easy to set up and move around as needed.

3. How long do solar powered lights last?

The lifespan of a solar powered light depends on the quality of the light and the battery. On average, a high-quality solar light can last up to 10 years with proper maintenance. It is important to regularly clean the solar panels and replace the battery when needed to ensure longevity.

4. Can solar powered lights be used indoors?

Yes, solar powered lights can be used indoors as long as they have access to sunlight for charging. However, they may not be as effective in areas with limited sunlight or in rooms with no windows. It is important to place the solar panel in a spot that receives direct sunlight for optimal charging.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using solar powered lights for shop displays?

Some potential disadvantages of using solar powered lights for shop displays include the initial cost of purchasing the lights and the potential for reduced performance on cloudy or rainy days. Additionally, these lights may not be as bright as traditional lighting options, so it is important to choose a high-quality light for optimal brightness.