Solar System Origins: Angular Momentum Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the angular momentum problem with the "nebular hypothesis" of the formation of our solar system. The theory predicts that the angular momentum of each body should be proportional to its mass, but this does not hold true for the sun, which makes up almost 99.9% of the solar system's mass but only accounts for 1% of its total angular momentum. The individual is seeking information on the leading explanations for this issue and any relevant texts or articles.
eliot6492
Hi guys,

This is basically a quick question to hopefully find some pointers on a topic I've been browsing the internet on to not much success. Basically the topic I'm trying to find more information on is the angular momentum problem with the "nebular hypothesis" of the formation of our solar system..(that being that whilst the sun makes up almost 99.9% of the solar systems mass it only accounts for around 1% of its total angular momentum). If I'm not mistaken the primitive theory that the solar system formed from a nebular predicts that the angular momentum held by each body should roughly conform to their mass proportions, thus making this a fundamental flaw in the theory.

Basically I've been scanning the internet trying to find the eventual solutions to this issue but everything I come across seems either vague or difficult to find further information on. I was hoping that someone more informed on this particular issue might be able to point me in the direction of the current leading explanation(s), who is responsible for them, any texts/articles that I might read about them on and if possible a simple explanation.

I'm a third year physics undergraduate so do have a decent understanding of many basic aspects of physics(understand most technical terms etc).

Thanks in advance

Eliot

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you mean the sum of the local angular momentums of each body or the angular momentum of the solar system as a whole? If the latter, then personally I would be astounded were it otherwise since the sun is all very close to the center of mass of the solar system (basically it IS the center of mass) but other objects are WAY farther out and so contribute more relative to their mass because of their distance.

1. What is the Angular Momentum Problem in Solar System Origins?

The Angular Momentum Problem in Solar System Origins refers to the question of how the planets in our solar system acquired their angular momentum. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion, and the current distribution of angular momentum in our solar system is puzzling as the inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars) have relatively low angular momentum compared to the outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune).

2. How does the Angular Momentum Problem impact our understanding of the formation of the solar system?

The Angular Momentum Problem challenges our current understanding of the formation of the solar system. According to the widely accepted theory of planet formation, called the nebular hypothesis, all planets should have similar amounts of angular momentum. However, the observed distribution of angular momentum in our solar system does not match this prediction, raising questions about the validity of the nebular hypothesis.

3. What are some proposed explanations for the Angular Momentum Problem?

Scientists have proposed several explanations for the Angular Momentum Problem. One theory suggests that the planets' current distribution of angular momentum is the result of interactions with the Sun's magnetic field during their formation. Another theory proposes that the asymmetric distribution of angular momentum is due to the planets' tidal interactions with the Sun and each other.

4. How are scientists studying the Angular Momentum Problem?

Scientists are using various methods to study the Angular Momentum Problem, including computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and observations of other planetary systems. Computer simulations allow scientists to model different scenarios and test different theories to see which one best explains the observed distribution of angular momentum in our solar system. Laboratory experiments can also provide insights into the physical processes that may have affected the planets' angular momentum during their formation. Observations of other planetary systems can also help scientists understand the range of possible outcomes for planet formation and compare them to our own solar system.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the Angular Momentum Problem?

If scientists are able to solve the Angular Momentum Problem, it could significantly improve our understanding of the formation and evolution of our solar system. It could also provide insights into the formation of other planetary systems and help us better understand the processes that lead to the formation of planets and their diverse characteristics.