Soldering High Voltage Capacitors

In summary, a high voltage capacitor can be dangerous if not handled properly. The person is going to use a soldering spherical balls to avoid any sharp edges. After soldering the capacitors together, they will sandpaper the edges to avoid any sharp corners.
corruptdna
Hi guys! I am fairly new to the forums so thank you for having me here :)

I just wanted to ask some of you guys here who have a better knowledge about high voltage capacitors than me.

I am creating a lightning impulse voltage generator as my final year project and have been provided with most of the circuit. My only job is two create two resistors and a capacitor.
I will be creating a 1.25nF capacitor using 10nf 10kv capacitors.
My question here is that I've heard a lot that when handling capacitors, you can get shocked especially if its a high voltage capacitor. Well ill need to solder 18 capacitors (36 in total) [ 18 capacitors in series, 2 legs in total, connecting them parallel ]and make two legs so they can handle 140kv at least.
Now here is my question. What precautions shall i take when soldering the capacitors in order not to get shocked? As for soldering the capacitors, I am going to try and make the the soldering spherical balls and then will use sandpaper to make sure there are no sharp edges. I do not want to get shocked and I've heard capacitors get charged by static electricity as well and i usually do my soldering next to a laptop playing songs and generally beside many electronics etc.

I just don't want any accident happening since i am doing all my soldering at home and will do the rest of the work in the High Voltage lab. I don't have much access to the high voltage lab because i am not allowed to stay there unsupervised and after hours. So id like a solution which would allow me to work at home without much problems.

If you guys need any other info, feel free to ask. Btw guys, soldering so many resistors and capacitors is so hard, i don't know how you guys do it all!
Also id like everyone to know that i will not be conducting or charging any of the capacitors at home. That will be conducted with my supervisor inside a high voltage lab with a faraday cage. We have everything in place and i am not allowed to do any tests at home other than soldering and outer design of the project. I will be conducting the test afterwards inside the lab with my supervisor after i have finished building my 2 resistors and capacitors.Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
corruptdna said:
nF
?

Bystander said:
?

Yes nF. 1.2nF or 1.2 * 10^-3 uF would you like a picture of the capacitors i will be using?

Likes sophiecentaur
Bystander said:
?
nanoFarad a common value range

I would assume from that, you don't do any electronics ? :wink:

Likes sophiecentaur
corruptdna said:
Now here is my question. What precautions shall i take when soldering the capacitors in order not to get shocked?

unless the caps are going to be second hand still in a working circuit, then they won't have a charge on them
ie. NEW caps WONT have a charge on them
corruptdna said:
As for soldering the capacitors, I am going to try and make the the soldering spherical balls and then will use sandpaper to make sure there are no sharp edges.

spherical balls ? makes no sense

corruptdna said:
I do not want to get shocked and I've heard capacitors get charged by static electricity as well and i usually do my soldering next to a laptop playing songs and generally beside many electronics etc.

you heard wrong, they cannot get charged just lying around. They could be charged by static IF they come into contact with a high voltage static generator, eg a Van de Graff generator etcDave

Likes corruptdna
davenn said:
unless the caps are going to be second hand still in a working circuit, then they won't have a charge on them
ie. NEW caps WONT have a charge on them

spherical balls ? makes no sense
you heard wrong, they cannot get charged just lying around. They could be charged by static IF they come into contact with a high voltage static generator, eg a Van de Graff generator etcDave

Okay thanks for the clarfication dave :) Please excuse for my lack of knowledge. Not necessarily spherical balls but more like. Hmm, a picture would be better.
Basically this is what i did. Not necessarily spherical balls but i was told not to just connect the legs but put a bit of soldering and make sure there were no sharp edges so as to make sure no corono discharge occurs. The picture is an example of resistors i soldered together. 560 ohm, 11 w (ceramic resistors )each. after i finish soldering, i make sure there are no sharp edges. Is this the correct approach to take when soldering the capacitors together?

Attachments

• 14139171_10210318347905711_940315004_o.jpg
    14139171_10210318347905711_940315004_o.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 600
Just an odd unit --- or, I am perhaps becoming an old unit.
corruptdna said:
10nf 10kv
0.5CV2, O(J), ... , Mythbusters search a "cropper" far as energy/ies, toss-up. Not a real hazard except under very unusual circumstances.
davenn said:
I would assume from that, you don't do any electronics ? :wink:
pF or μF is it.

Bystander said:
Just an odd unit --- or, I am perhaps becoming an old unit.
0.5CV2, O(J), ... , Mythbusters search a "cropper" far as energy/ies, toss-up. Not a real hazard except under very unusual circumstances.
pF or μF is it.

no ... definitely not odd :smile:

smallest to largest value ... pF, nF, uF :smile:
I use lots of all ranges in my manufacturing and home electronics

Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys. :) So i guess i won't be coming across any real problems when handling them. Another question, when you do look at the picture, do you think my soldering technique can be called solid, and won't cause any problems?
Also do you think olive oil is a good insulator? I can't get my hands on transformer oil like my supervisor did when she was building her tesla coil, but i heard olive oil can be used. I plan to sold the capacitors, then put them in a PVC pipe and insulate them with olive oil.

corruptdna said:
Okay thanks for the clarfication dave :) Please excuse for my lack of knowledge. Not necessarily spherical balls but more like. Hmm, a picture would be better.

looks good :smile:

corruptdna said:
Basically this is what i did. Not necessarily spherical balls but i was told not to just connect the legs but put a bit of soldering and make sure there were no sharp edges so as to make sure no corona discharge occurs.

yup, that's correct, less likely to have a corona with rounded surfaces, till you get to the really high voltages like from a
Van de Graff generator etc where the voltage exceeds 100kV or soDave

corruptdna said:
Also do you think olive oil is a good insulator? I can't get my hands on transformer oil like my supervisor did when she was building her tesla coil, but i heard olive oil can be used. I plan to sold the capacitors, then put them in a PVC pipe and insulate them with olive oil.

encasing them in silicone sealer would be good ... there's a dozen different brands
eg
upload_2016-9-4_11-17-55.png
Dave

davenn said:
looks good :smile:
yup, that's correct, less likely to have a corona with rounded surfaces, till you get to the really high voltages like from a
Van de Graff generator etc where the voltage exceeds 100kV or soDave

I was told to make sure the capacitors should be able to handle up to 140kv thus the need of making two legs of 18 capacitors. otherwise i wanted to use 8, 10/8=1.25 and that would only require one leg and make things easier, but that would also mean 8*10=80kv only. Thanks a lot for the replies dave, i will get to the soldering of capacitors then :)

You might check this thread for pictures of a commercial high voltage capacitor based device. They stacked the stages so the full voltage was not applied across any single part.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...asuring-things-etc.755959/page-5#post-5217555I don't have enough leftovers for your nine stages so can't help there

but i'd suggest you include high megohm voltage dividers to assure voltage divides about equally among your caps, and that they will self discharge after the machine is powered down.

Energy = ½CV2 , C = 1.25 X1 0--9 and V = 1.4 X105 , gives ~12 Joules , about the lowest range for defibrillators.
doesn't sound lethal but it'd sure be a jolt.

old jim

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
You might check this thread for pictures of a commercial high voltage capacitor based device. They stacked the stages so the full voltage was not applied across any single part.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...asuring-things-etc.755959/page-5#post-5217555I don't have enough leftovers for your nine stages so can't help there

but i'd suggest you include high megohm voltage dividers to assure voltage divides about equally among your caps, and that they will self discharge after the machine is powered down.

Energy = ½CV2 , C = 1.25 X1 0--9 and V = 1.4 X105 , gives ~12 Joules , about the lowest range for defibrillators.
doesn't sound lethal but it'd sure be a jolt.

old jim

thanks for the reply. :) I am glad to know the most ill get is a jolt xD

corruptdna said:
thanks for the reply. :) I am glad to know the most ill get is a jolt xD
A really substantial jolt.

We've all felt the shock of a spark plug (i assume).

That's on the order of 40 millijoules*. Your apparatus might deliver 12 / 0.04 = 300 X that.

Be careful.

old jim

* fascinating measurements here. Should be posted to an automotive thread in ME forum.
http://worldphaco.net/uploads/THE_SPARK_ENERGY_TEST_MACHINE.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
"Give you a jolt" and "maybe lethal" are probably just a matter of luck apart. I am reading about smoothing caps in valve amp power supplies are they are the subject of death warnings all over the net and (if my maths is right) a 50 µF cap with 400 V in it is 4 Joules.

Also be aware that the spark gap at 400 V is sub millimeter. I guess you already know what the spark gap is that you are dealing with but don't let bad luck come together with a slip of the wrist.

davenn said:
encasing them in silicone sealer would be good ... there's a dozen different brands
I'm cautious about silicone sealers, don't some of them produce acetic acid (corrosive) while curing? Need to research for one that is okay for potting electronics.

Likes davenn and Merlin3189
Trans oil is just mineral oil, available at the Hardware store. -- will be much better if you need to make changes / edits than permanent RTV Silicone -- You can use Denatured Alcohol to clean the oil off. You can get silicone oil - also used in transformers.

As for RTV there are two general types, one cures by UV, temp - etc, the other uses acid, which could be corrosive, but for a basic experiment I doubt it would be a problem.

If this is somthing you will handle often - you may want to "build in" a discharge resistor, to allow you an easy and convenient way to make the cap assy safe.

Since someone mentioned thins you can buy at hardware stores, you can also use liberal amounts of dielectric grease. Coat your connections and solder joints with dielectric grease to prevent unintentional arcing and coronal discharge. You can buy cans of it in the electrical section of hardware stores in the US.

1. What is soldering and why is it important for high voltage capacitors?

Soldering is a process of joining two or more metal components together using a melted metal alloy called solder. It is important for high voltage capacitors because it allows for a secure and reliable connection between the capacitor's leads and the circuit board, ensuring proper functioning of the capacitor in the circuit. It also helps to prevent the capacitor from becoming loose or disconnected due to the high voltage and potential heat generated during operation.

2. What precautions should be taken when soldering high voltage capacitors?

When soldering high voltage capacitors, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear such as gloves, safety glasses, and a heat-resistant apron. It is also important to disconnect the power source and discharge the capacitor before beginning to solder. Make sure to use a soldering iron with a low wattage and avoid touching the leads or terminals of the capacitor while it is charged.

3. Can any type of solder be used for high voltage capacitors?

No, not all types of solder are suitable for high voltage capacitors. It is recommended to use lead-free solder with a high melting point (around 370 °C) to ensure a strong and durable connection. Lead-free solder is also safer for the environment and human health. Avoid using acid-core solder as it can damage the capacitor and cause malfunctioning.

4. How can I ensure a good solder joint when working with high voltage capacitors?

To ensure a good solder joint, it is important to clean the leads and terminals of the capacitor with a fine-grit sandpaper or a wire brush before soldering. This will remove any dirt, oil, or oxidation that can hinder a proper solder connection. It is also important to use the right amount of solder and heat, and to avoid creating cold joints or overheating the capacitor.

5. Are there any alternative methods to soldering high voltage capacitors?

Yes, there are alternative methods to soldering high voltage capacitors such as using crimp connectors or high-temperature conductive adhesives. However, soldering is still the most common and reliable method for connecting high voltage capacitors to a circuit board. These alternative methods should only be used if soldering is not possible or practical.