Soldering station fume hood design

In summary, Tom is currently building a fume hood for a soldering station and is looking for ideas on how to implement an air pressure sensor to maintain constant negative pressure inside the hood. He suggests using a pressure sensor inside and outside the hood to measure the pressure difference, but it may be more effective to monitor the airflow in the duct. He also mentions using a backdraft damper as an easy solution.
Danmo
TL;DR Summary
Measurement and elimination of back-draft through a fume hood
Good day all,

I am currently building a fume hood for a soldering station which will exhaust air to the outside world via filtration.

As I would like to maintain constant negative pressure inside the hood, even in the event of back-draft from outside due to inclement weather, or one too many air entry/exits in the building momentarily open, I am after some ideas on how I would implement an air pressure sensor within the fume hood to measure and/or alert when back-draft is present.

At a guess, I figure I would need a pressure sensor inside the hood and one outside the hood to measure the relative pressure difference.

My question is;

Would a 10kPa air pressure sensor both inside and out of the fume hood (inside the building) register the pressure difference for the specifications of this fan? I am trying to conceptualize the fact that the interior sensor will measure fan influenced air pressure and the exterior will simply be measuring atmospheric pressure.

Would something like this work?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/MPX5010DP/?qs=N2XN0KY4UWXY1XQyQ71Xsg==Many thanks for a push in the right direction

Attachments

• fan specs.png
    fan specs.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 98
Engineering news on Phys.org
You might do better monitoring the rate of airflow in the duct since that is what is important. The pressure difference will be more a function of the restriction of clean air to entering the building.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is a soldering station fume hood?

A soldering station fume hood is a specialized piece of equipment used to extract and filter harmful fumes and particles generated during soldering processes. It is designed to protect the user's health and prevent the release of hazardous substances into the environment.

2. How does a soldering station fume hood work?

A soldering station fume hood works by using a fan to draw air and fumes from the soldering area into the hood. The air is then passed through a series of filters, such as activated carbon or HEPA filters, to remove harmful particles and gases before being released back into the environment.

3. Why is a fume hood important for soldering stations?

A fume hood is important for soldering stations because soldering involves the use of flux and other chemicals that can release harmful fumes. These fumes can cause health issues if inhaled, and a fume hood helps to protect the user from these hazards.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a soldering station fume hood?

When designing a soldering station fume hood, factors such as the type of soldering processes being performed, the size of the work area, and the types of chemicals and fumes being generated should be considered. The hood should also be designed to provide adequate air flow and filtration to effectively remove fumes and protect the user.

5. Are there any safety precautions to follow when using a soldering station fume hood?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to follow when using a soldering station fume hood. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, ensuring the hood is properly ventilated, and regularly maintaining and replacing filters to ensure they are functioning effectively.