Solenoid Electricity Generator

In summary, the conversation discusses using a solenoid to generate enough current to intermittently power an LED. The plan involves winding enameled copper wire around a pipe to create the solenoid, and pulling magnets through the pipe to generate an EMF. The efficiency of this method is questioned, and a suggestion is made to look at the arrangement of a generator or motor for a more efficient design. However, the speaker has design constraints and needs to be able to drag or pull the magnet through the solenoid. A possible solution is mentioned, the "Shake Charge Flashlight."
EternusVia
Hi all,

I'm trying to generate enough current using a solenoid to intermittently power an LED. My plan is to buy some enameled copper wire and wind it around pipe. This will be my solenoid. Then, magnets will be pulled through the pipe on string or what-not and, by Faraday's Law of Induction, an EMF will be generated.

I understand that this EMF will be sporadic. It will depend on the number of windings and the strength of the magnets that are pulled through. Do you think it could be enough to intermittently light an LED?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is a much more efficient way to use the windings and the magnet(s). When you look at the arrangement of the rotor and stator in a generator (or motor), do you see how you can make your generator more efficient?

berkeman said:
There is a much more efficient way to use the windings and the magnet(s). When you look at the arrangement of the rotor and stator in a generator (or motor), do you see how you can make your generator more efficient?

Unfortunately I have serious design constraints for the application I'm looking at. The most important constraint is that I need to be able to drag or pull the magnet through the solenoid.

You can buy this...look up "Shake Charge Flashlight" -

What is a solenoid electricity generator?

A solenoid electricity generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the use of a solenoid, which is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

How does a solenoid electricity generator work?

A solenoid electricity generator works by using the mechanical energy of a rotating shaft to move a magnet through a solenoid coil. This movement creates a changing magnetic field, which induces an electric current in the coil. The current can then be harnessed as electrical energy.

What are the advantages of using a solenoid electricity generator?

One advantage of using a solenoid electricity generator is that it is a simple and efficient way to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It also has no moving parts, which reduces the risk of mechanical failure. Additionally, solenoid generators can be easily scaled up or down to fit different energy needs.

What are the applications of solenoid electricity generators?

Solenoid electricity generators have a wide range of applications, including powering small electronic devices, such as flashlights or calculators, and providing backup power for larger systems, such as hospitals or data centers. They can also be used in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines, to convert the mechanical energy of the wind into electricity.

Are there any limitations to using solenoid electricity generators?

One limitation of solenoid electricity generators is that they are not suitable for generating large amounts of electricity. This is because the amount of energy produced is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field, which is limited by the size of the solenoid coil. Additionally, solenoid generators are not ideal for long-term use as the coil can overheat and lose its effectiveness over time.