How Does a Silicon Steel Core Affect a Solenoid's Magnetic Field?

In summary, to find the magnitude of the magnetic field B at a point inside the core of a long solenoid, use the formula B = munaught * n * I. Do not multiply munaught by Km.
physstudent1
1. Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 70.0 turns of wire per centimeter carries a current of 0.100 A. The wire that makes up the solenoid is wrapped around a solid core of silicon steel (Km=5200). (The wire of the solenoid is jacketed with an insulator so that none of the current flows into the core.)

For a point inside the core, find the magnitude of the magnetic field B due to the solenoid current.
2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I used the regular solenoid equation B = munaught(n)I but i replaced munaught with munaught*5200 this gave me 4.55 but that isn't the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent1 said:
1. Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 70.0 turns of wire per centimeter carries a current of 0.100 A. The wire that makes up the solenoid is wrapped around a solid core of silicon steel (Km=5200). (The wire of the solenoid is jacketed with an insulator so that none of the current flows into the core.)

For a point inside the core, find the magnitude of the magnetic field B due to the solenoid current.
2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution

I used the regular solenoid equation B = munaught(n)I but i replaced munaught with munaught*5200 this gave me 4.55 but that isn't the right answer?

You had the right formula (B=(munaught)*n*I) but you added an extra step. Just use munaught instead of munaught*5200. You don't need to multiply anything by Km until solving for magnetization.

Related to How Does a Silicon Steel Core Affect a Solenoid's Magnetic Field?

What is a solenoid with a magnetic core?

A solenoid with a magnetic core is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a coil of wire (the solenoid) wrapped around a ferromagnetic core (usually iron), which creates a strong magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the wire.

How does a solenoid with a magnetic core work?

When an electric current passes through the wire of the solenoid, it creates a magnetic field around the core. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current passing through the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the ferromagnetic core, causing it to move. The movement of the core can be used to perform mechanical tasks.

What are the applications of a solenoid with a magnetic core?

Solenoids with magnetic cores have a wide range of applications, including in electromechanical locks, valves, and relays. They are also used in various industrial and automotive systems, such as automatic transmission systems and hydraulic systems. In addition, solenoids with magnetic cores are commonly used in electronic devices such as printers and hard drives.

What are the advantages of using a solenoid with a magnetic core?

One of the main advantages of using a solenoid with a magnetic core is its ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy with high efficiency. They are also compact and lightweight, making them suitable for use in various applications. Additionally, solenoids with magnetic cores have a rapid response time and can be easily controlled by adjusting the amount of current passing through the wire.

Are there any limitations to using a solenoid with a magnetic core?

One limitation of solenoids with magnetic cores is that they can generate significant heat when a large current is passed through the wire. This can cause damage to the solenoid or surrounding components if not properly managed. In addition, the movement of the core can cause mechanical wear and tear over time, so regular maintenance may be necessary to ensure proper functioning.