Solenoidal and irrotational vector field

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a vector field in spherical polar coordinates is solenoidal, finding the function that makes the field irrotational, and finding a potential in this case. The formula for divergence in spherical coordinates is discussed and it is suggested to either convert to Cartesian coordinates or add correction terms to the calculation in spherical coordinates to account for the change in coordinate vectors.
Dominika

Homework Statement

I am to prove (using the equations for gradient, divergence and curl in spherical polar coordinates) that vector field $$\mathbf{w}=w_{\psi}(r,\theta)\hat e_{\psi}$$ is solenoidal, find $$w_{\psi}(r,\theta)$$ when it's irrotational and find a potential in this case.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For vector field to be solenoidal, divergence should be zero, so I get the equation:

$$\nabla\cdot\mathbf{w}=\frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\frac{\partial w_{\psi}(r,\theta)}{\partial \psi}=0$$

For a vector field to be irrotational, the curl has to be zero. After substituting values into equation, I get:

$$\cos\theta\cdot w_{\psi}+\frac{\partial w_{\psi}}{\partial \theta}\cdot \sin\theta=0$$
and
$$w_{\psi}+\frac{\partial w_{\psi}}{\partial r}\cdot r=0$$.

Is it right? How to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dominika said:
For vector field to be solenoidal, divergence should be zero, so I get the equation:

$$\nabla\cdot\mathbf{w}=\frac{1}{r\sin\theta}\frac{\partial w_{\psi}(r,\theta)}{\partial \psi}=0$$
How did you derive that formula? Are you sure you didn't just use ##\frac{\partial w^r}{\partial r}+
\frac{\partial w^\theta}{\partial \theta}+\frac{\partial w^\phi}{\partial \phi}##? If I recall correctly that formula for divergence only works for Cartesian coordinates, in which case it won't be correct for spherical coordinates. I think you either need to convert to Cartesian coordinates and calculate divergence as ##\frac{\partial w^x}{\partial x}+
\frac{\partial w^y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial w^z}{\partial z}##, or else add correction terms to the calculation in spherical coordinates to allow for the change in the coordinate vectors as the position moves.

1. What is a solenoidal vector field?

A solenoidal vector field is a type of vector field in which the net flow of the vector field through any closed surface is zero. This means that the divergence of the vector field is equal to zero, indicating that the vector field has no sources or sinks.

2. What is an irrotational vector field?

An irrotational vector field is a type of vector field in which the curl of the vector field is equal to zero. This means that the vector field has no rotation or vortices, and the vector field is conservative.

3. What is the difference between a solenoidal and an irrotational vector field?

The main difference between a solenoidal and an irrotational vector field is that a solenoidal vector field has zero divergence, while an irrotational vector field has zero curl. In other words, a solenoidal vector field has no sources or sinks, while an irrotational vector field has no rotation or vortices.

4. How are solenoidal and irrotational vector fields used in physics?

Solenoidal and irrotational vector fields are commonly used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics. In fluid mechanics, solenoidal vector fields are used to model the flow of incompressible fluids, while irrotational vector fields are used to model the flow of inviscid fluids. In electromagnetism, these vector fields are used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can a vector field be both solenoidal and irrotational?

Yes, a vector field can be both solenoidal and irrotational. These types of vector fields are known as harmonic vector fields, and they are used in many applications in physics and engineering. In a harmonic vector field, both the divergence and curl are equal to zero, indicating that there are no sources, sinks, or rotation in the vector field.