Solid of revolution question: verify that the volume of the cone is παβh/3

In summary, we are considering a vertical cone with an elliptical cross-section and base. We are asked to verify that the volume of the cone is equal to παβh/3. To do so, we use the formula V = ∫A(y) dy, where A(y) is the area of the cross-section at height y. Using similar triangles, we find that the minor and major axes of the ellipse at each height y are u(y) = α(h-y)/h and v(y) = β(h-y)/h, respectively. Integrating and evaluating from 0 to h, we arrive at the volume formula V = παβh/3, as desired.
mclame22

Homework Statement

Consider a vertical cone of height h whose horizontal cross-section is an ellipse and whose base is the ellipse with major and minor semi-axes α and β. Verify that the volume of the cone is παβh/3.
[ Hint: The area of an ellipse with major and minor semi-axes α and β is παβ. ]

Homework Equations

V = ∫A(y) dy (from c to d)
V = ∫π(radius)² dy (from c to d)

The Attempt at a Solution

It says that the cone is upright, so I'm assuming it wants the cone rotated about the y-axis.
V = ∫A(y) dy
V = ∫π(radius)² dy

Using similar triangles:
x/y = r/h
x = ry/h

V = π∫(ry/h)² dy (the integral is now from 0 to h (c = 0, d = h))
V = π∫(r²y²/h²) dy
V = (πr²/h²)∫(y²) dy (since pi, r, and h are all constants)

At this point I'm not sure where to go. Do I take the integral of y²? How do I incorporate α and β into this integral? (As a side note, I'm very new to these forums and if I've done anything wrong I apologize. I'm not used to writing out integrals on the computer and if the notation is not optimal I'm sorry!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I think you need to go out of your way to draw this thing, nicely. The volume via slices is:

[tex]V=\int_0^h A(y)dy[/tex]

with [itex]A(y)=\pi u(y) v(y)[/itex]

and u and v are the minor and major axes as functions of y as you go up the cone starting from the base up to h.

Since the axes at the base are [itex]\alpha,\beta[/itex], then as you said, using similar triangles, I get:

[tex]u(y)=\frac{\alpha}{h}(h-y)[/tex]

[tex]v(y)=\frac{\beta}{h}(h-y)[/tex]

Alright, just integrate now.

Related to Solid of revolution question: verify that the volume of the cone is παβh/3

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. Common examples include cones, cylinders, and spheres.

2. How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution is calculated using the formula V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. This formula assumes that the shape being rotated is a circle.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cone?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cone is V = πr^2h/3, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. This formula can also be derived from the formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution.

4. How do you verify the volume of a cone using the given formula?

To verify the volume of a cone using the formula V = πr^2h/3, you first need to measure the radius and height of the cone. Then, substitute these values into the formula and solve for the volume. Finally, compare the calculated volume to the actual volume of the cone to verify its accuracy.

5. Can the formula for calculating the volume of a cone be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula V = πr^2h/3 is specifically for calculating the volume of a cone. Other shapes, such as cylinders or spheres, have their own unique formulas for calculating volume.