Is UIUC worth it when having to pay-out of-state tuition?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uiuc
In summary, the individual is deciding between attending the University of Virginia and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign for their undergraduate physics program. Although UVA is cheaper due to in-state status, the individual was more impressed with UIUC during a campus visit. They are wondering if the larger faculty and opportunities at UIUC would lead to better undergraduate research opportunities and a more exciting atmosphere. However, they are also considering the cost-benefit analysis and whether the cheaper option would still provide a sufficient education and opportunities for graduate school. They are seeking advice on whether UIUC is worth the extra cost and general thoughts on the quality of the programs at both schools. Additionally, they are interested in personal
sphysics
I am currently applying to undergraduate physics programs, and am deciding between the University of Virginia and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am in-state in Virginia, so UVA is much cheaper, but after visiting both schools, I was really impressed with UIUC (and slightly underwhelmed by UVA).

I understand that graduate school is much more important for long-term success in physics, so it may not be worth it to spend more for a bachelor's degree. However, UIUC has double the faculty of UVA and I am wondering if all the opportunities there would help me find better undergraduate research opportunities, as well as attracting better guest speakers and creating a more exciting atmosphere. While a rational cost-benefit analysis probably shows the price of UIUC not to be worth it, there are so many intangible benefits of UIUC that I am worried that I would regret not going there.

I would appreciate any advice on whether UIUC is "worth it" over UVA for physics, as well as general thoughts about the quality of the programs at UVA and UIUC.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have correctly concluded UIUC is bigger. Is it better? That kind of cuts both ways. More faculty, but more students seeking their attention. Whether it's worth it depends pn the cost differential and how much that money means to you.

Likes jim mcnamara
It sounds to me like you already have an answer and you're just searching for specific reasons to justify attending the more expensive school. If you can't specifically articulate what these are with a reasonable effort in searching, it's probably not worth it.

Another way to look at this is whether or not the cheaper option will provide you with a sufficient education. Are its graduates getting into grad school? Are students involved in research you find interesting? Are they developing practical skill sets? What happens to students that don't go on to graduate school? Where are they ending up?

Likes gwnorth and berkeman
Thank you both for your replies.

For Vanadium 50's points:
I agree that the fact that UIUC is bigger is a large part of many of the things which I like about it, but that does come with some advantages like more research opportunities. However, I will definitely consider your points about the number of students.

For Choppy's points:
I would not say that I already have come to a conclusion, though I definitely am attracted by the quality of UIUC's department. People at UVA told me around 1 person gets into a "top" graduate program each year, while UIUC had a lot of data which showed that several of their students get into top programs each year. Also, UIUC has a much greater percentage of students who are choosing to go to graduate school than UVA, which also appeals to me.

Thanks for your responses and I would also be interested if anyone had personal experience with the physics departments at UIUC or UVA.

sphysics said:
People at UVA told me around 1 person gets into a "top" graduate program each year, while UIUC had a lot of data which showed that several of their students get into top programs each year.
But they graduate 2-3 times as many majors, You're also chasing small statistics and the definition of "top".

I think you want to look past the statistics and ask yourself where do you think you would do best.

Likes TeethWhitener
By my estimation UVa in-state is one of the great educational bargains in the country. I think you will find the average UVa undergrad to be a cut above the average UIUC undergrad. There are also a number of Honors programs for outstanding students. I would strongly recommend UVa and take it upon yourself to be outstanding.

/

• Informative
Likes gwnorth, berkeman and TeethWhitener
Both have top-notch physics programs with plenty of opportunities for undergrad involvement in research (and probably teaching as well). Whether you go to UVA or UIUC isn’t going to be the deciding factor on your grad school application. It probably won’t be a factor at all, to be honest.

Not sure how much it would be an issue for you as an undergrad, but in case you weren't aware, there's currently a job action happening at UIUC. Grad students are on strike for the 2nd time since 2019. Grad students apparently fill in for a lot of faculty and admin so their working conditions might affect the quality of services you would receive there.

https://www.science.org/content/article/illinois-graduate-students-strike

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Is the cost of out-of-state tuition at UIUC worth it compared to other universities?

It depends on individual circumstances and priorities. UIUC is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the nation, with highly ranked programs and a strong reputation. However, the cost of out-of-state tuition can be a significant factor for some students.

2. Are there any financial aid or scholarship opportunities for out-of-state students at UIUC?

Yes, UIUC offers financial aid and scholarship opportunities for out-of-state students. These include merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and work-study programs. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

3. How does the cost of living in Illinois compare to other states?

The cost of living in Illinois is generally lower than other states, such as California or New York. However, it can still be expensive, especially in urban areas like Champaign-Urbana where UIUC is located. It is important to consider not just tuition, but also living expenses when making a decision about attending UIUC.

4. Are there any benefits to paying out-of-state tuition at UIUC?

UIUC offers a diverse and vibrant campus community with students from all over the world. This can provide valuable networking opportunities and a global perspective. Additionally, some out-of-state students may be eligible for in-state tuition after their first year of attendance.

5. What is the return on investment for out-of-state students at UIUC?

Graduates from UIUC have high job placement rates and starting salaries, making it a good investment for many students. However, it is important to consider individual career goals and potential earnings in your field of study when evaluating the return on investment for out-of-state tuition at UIUC.