Solids with different sound velocity at diffrent tempratures

In summary, the sound velocity of solids can vary at different temperatures due to changes in the intermolecular forces and atomic vibrations. As temperature increases, the sound velocity typically increases due to increased molecular motion and decreased intermolecular forces. However, at extremely low temperatures, the sound velocity may decrease due to changes in atomic vibrations. This phenomenon can be observed in various materials, such as metals, insulators, and superconductors, and has important implications for materials science and engineering. Understanding the relationship between sound velocity and temperature is crucial in designing and optimizing materials for specific applications.
Mehran
i work on phononic crystals and i want to find solids with diffrent sound velocities and mass density in diffrent temprature
i can just find BST
but i need more matherials
please help me my friends
best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Mehran said:
i work on phononic crystals and i want to find solids with diffrent sound velocities and mass density in diffrent temprature
i can just find BST
but i need more matherials
please help me my friends
best regards
Welcome to the PF.

I did a google search on Bulk Modulus Versus Temperature, and got lots of good hits. Maybe start there?

Likes Mehran

1. What is the relationship between sound velocity and temperature in solids?

In general, as the temperature of a solid increases, the sound velocity also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the particles in the solid are vibrating faster and are able to transmit sound waves more quickly.

2. Why do different solids have different sound velocities at different temperatures?

The sound velocity in a solid depends on its physical properties, such as density, elasticity, and crystal structure. Different solids have different combinations of these properties, leading to variations in sound velocity at different temperatures.

3. How does the sound velocity change as a solid transitions from a solid to a liquid?

As a solid melts and transitions into a liquid, the sound velocity decreases. This is because the particles in a liquid are less tightly packed and can move more freely, leading to a slower transmission of sound waves.

4. Is there a limit to how high or low a sound velocity can be in a solid?

Yes, there is a limit to how high or low a sound velocity can be in a solid. At very high temperatures, the particles in a solid are moving so quickly that they are no longer able to transmit sound waves efficiently. Similarly, at very low temperatures, the particles are moving too slowly to effectively transmit sound waves.

5. How does pressure affect the sound velocity in solids at different temperatures?

In general, increasing pressure on a solid will increase its sound velocity at any given temperature. This is because higher pressure leads to a tighter packing of particles, making it easier for sound waves to travel through the solid.