Soln: Acceleration of System & Tension in Ropes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration and tensions in a system involving a triangle, four objects, and three pulleys. The equations used include Fnet= T1 - Fg, Fnet= T2 -T1 - Fres - Fg, Fnet= T3 + Fg// - T2, and Fnet= Fg - T3. A possible approach to solving the question is to start with the last equation and substitute backwards. However, there may be errors in the substitutions, and an alternative approach using vectors is suggested.
kj99

Homework Statement

Find the Acceleration of the system and the tensions in the three ropes.

*If you can't see the picture there's a triangle (ABC), a train of four objects and three pulleys (one exactly at each corner). Side AC (hypotenuse) at the bottom, side AB to the left and side AC to the right.
Angle A=37
Angle B=53
Angle C=90
There is only kinetic friction between A and B of 0.125.

mass A= 10kg (hangs straight off the pulley at Angle A)
mass B= 5kg (on AB)
mass C= 10kg (on BC)
mass D= 20kg (hanging off the pulley at Angle C)

Up is positive

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an acceleration of 28.96m/s/s but I'm fairly sure it's wrong lol. I used these equations using scalar values:

m1: Fnet= T1 - Fg
10a= T1 - (10)(10)
T1= 10a+ 100

m2: Fnet= T2 -T1 - Fres - Fg//
5a= T2 - T1 - (0.125)(50cos37) - 50sin37
T2= T1 + 5a + 35.08

m3: Fnet= T3 + Fg// - T2
10a= T3 + 100sin53 - T2
T3= T2 + 10a -79.86

m4: Fnet= Fg - T3
20a= 200 - T3
T3= 200-20a

After finding these four equations I just started at the last equation and kept substituting from there.
IMG_0094[1].JPG
IMG_0094[1].JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look correct. But as you noted, your final answer for the acceleration can't be correct. ( It's greater than free fall acceleration.) I guess you will need to check your algebra. It's easy to slip up on a sign or something.

Likes kj99
TSny said:
Your equations look correct. But as you noted, your final answer for the acceleration can't be correct. ( It's greater than free fall acceleration.) I guess you will need to check your algebra. It's easy to slip up on a sign or something.

Is this how you would approach and solve this question?

kj99 said:
Is this how you would approach and solve this question?
Yes. But what would happen if you added all the red equations below:
m1: Fnet= T1 - Fg
10a= T1 - (10)(10)
T1= 10a+ 100

m2: Fnet= T2 -T1 - Fres - Fg//
5a= T2 - T1 - (0.125)(50cos37) - 50sin37
T2= T1 + 5a + 35.08

m3: Fnet= T3 + Fg// - T2
10a= T3 + 100sin53 - T2
T3= T2 + 10a -79.86

m4: Fnet= Fg - T3
20a= 200 - T3
T3= 200-20a

Likes kj99
TSny said:
Yes. But what would happen if you added all the red equations below:

Yeah I tried it again and I got 7.66m/s/s. I probably messed up in my substitutions somewhere along the way.

kj99 said:
Yeah I tried it again and I got 7.66m/s/s. I probably messed up in my substitutions somewhere along the way.
Darn. That's not what I get. Of course I could be making an error in solving the equations. (But I did check my work.)

TSny said:
Darn. That's not what I get. Of course I could be making an error in solving the equations. (But I did check my work.)

Lol idk, I'll try the question with vectors instead of vectors maybe.

I still like my suggestion in post #4.:smile:

1. What is the acceleration of a system?

The acceleration of a system is the rate of change of its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration related to tension in ropes?

The acceleration of a system can be affected by the tension in ropes if the ropes are attached to objects that are part of the system. As the tension in the ropes changes, it can cause the objects to accelerate in different directions.

3. Can the acceleration of a system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a system can be negative. This means that the velocity is decreasing over time, either in magnitude or direction.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a system?

The acceleration of a system can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the objects in the system, the net force acting on the system, and any external forces or friction that may be present.

5. How can the acceleration of a system be calculated?

The acceleration of a system can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the system by the total mass of the system. This can be represented mathematically as a = F/m.