Solubility of Calcium Oxalate in an Alcohol Solution?

In summary, there is a debate among researchers about the solubility of calcium oxalate in aqueous solutions of alcohol. While some sources claim that calcium oxalate is soluble in these solutions, others suggest that it is less soluble than in pure water. This is supported by evidence of ion pairing in alcohol-water mixtures, indicating that the solvent is not effectively separating the calcium and oxalate ions. However, it is currently unclear which perspective is accurate without access to the full article.
chemisthypnos
In searching through the literature for the solubility of calcium oxalate, I came across this post https://www.researchgate.net/post/Are_there_any_organic_inorganic_solvents_for_dissolving_Ca-oxalate I am not sure where the people answering this question have gotten the information that calcium oxalate is soluble in an aqueous solution of alcohol, but I can't view the only article that I could find agreeing with them past its abstract (I can't see the full text). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/641826 Does anyone know if this is true?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can’t get to my work computer to check out the actual paper right now, but the abstract makes it sound like calcium oxalate is less soluble in alcohol-water mixtures than in pure water (which is believable). In particular, where it says they see evidence of ion pairing as dielectric constant is decreased, that indicates that the calcium and oxalate ions are not being separated by a solvent shell.

1. What is the solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution?

The solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution depends on the type of alcohol used and the temperature of the solution. Generally, calcium oxalate has low solubility in alcohols, with ethanol having a solubility of 0.0025 g/100 mL at 20°C.

2. Why is calcium oxalate insoluble in alcohol?

Calcium oxalate is insoluble in alcohol due to its molecular structure and the polarity of alcohols. Calcium oxalate is a highly polar molecule, and alcohols are polar solvents. This polarity difference makes it difficult for the molecules to interact and form a solution.

3. Does the concentration of alcohol affect the solubility of calcium oxalate?

Yes, the concentration of alcohol can affect the solubility of calcium oxalate. As the concentration of alcohol increases, the solubility of calcium oxalate generally decreases. This is because there are fewer water molecules available to interact with the calcium oxalate, making it more difficult for the compound to dissolve.

4. Can the solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution be increased?

Yes, the solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution can be increased by increasing the temperature of the solution. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules increases, making it easier for them to overcome the intermolecular forces and dissolve the calcium oxalate.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution?

Studying the solubility of calcium oxalate in an alcohol solution is important in industries such as pharmaceuticals, where solubility plays a crucial role in the effectiveness of a drug. It can also be useful in understanding the formation and prevention of calcium oxalate kidney stones, and in developing cleaning agents for removing calcium oxalate deposits in household items.