Solubility of Cations/precipitation question

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the precipitation method to determine the presence of ions in a solution. The speaker has determined that Sr+2 ion is not soluble with the sulphate ion and is questioning why sodium is used instead of other group 1 metals. They provide an example of another problem where sodium is also added, and the conversation concludes with the explanation that sodium compounds are preferred due to their affordability and solubility.
supernova1203
The question is asking us to determine weather there is a Li+ Ion or Sr+2 ion in the solution

We are using the precipitation method

Using various solubility tables I determined that Sr+2 ion is not soluble with the sulphate ion
SO-24

the course book uses the compound Na2SO4

my question is, they intentionally use sulphate ion because they know if there is Sr+2 ion in solution, there will be a precipitate, if there isn't then there will be no precipitate, but why did they use sodium? Couldnt they have used any group 1 Metal? since any group 1 metal would have been soluble with Li ion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Iv run into similar questions down the line now, you can always just put one ion that isn't soluble and find the precipitation, but why do they put the other element in there? Like they did in the problem described above, where they put in sodium along with sulphate?

I add a screenshot for further clarity

Here is another example, where they do this again, they just need to add

C2H3O2

but they also add a Na to each stage when testing for a certain Ion in a solution, to see wheather or not a precipitate forms

There is a typo for the H3

in the book it should be C2H3O2

but it says H5

Why do they add the extra sodium? i don't get it..

Attachments

• Precipitation question .jpg
    Precipitation question .jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 442
How are you going to add just SO42-?

well i didnt know that i couldnt, i had forgetten from earlier lessons what an ionic compound was,(i have a terrible memory) anyway i figured out eventually that you need to have an element from group 1 or 2 and make an ionic compound with sulphate and then you can proceed to see if precipitation occurs or not

Actually you could use any sulfate, or even sulfuric acid. But that means troubles - other cations will just increase number of possible precipitates, sulfuric acid will acidify the solution, in both cases the analysis becomes more and more difficult as the number of factors one has to take into account grows. Sodium compounds are cheap, and soluble - so usually they are preferred over anything else.

Related to Solubility of Cations/precipitation question

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in another substance, known as the solvent, to form a homogeneous solution.

2. How is the solubility of cations determined?

The solubility of cations is determined by various factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other ions in the solution. It can also be affected by the nature of the cation itself, including its size and charge.

3. What is the relationship between solubility and precipitation?

Solubility and precipitation are two opposite processes. Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent, while precipitation refers to the formation of a solid from a solution due to the insolubility of the substance. Generally, when the solubility of a substance decreases, its tendency to precipitate increases.

4. How does pH affect the solubility of cations?

The solubility of cations can be affected by the pH of the solution. Some cations are more soluble in acidic solutions, while others are more soluble in basic solutions. This is because the charge of the cation can be affected by the pH, which in turn affects its solubility.

5. Why is the solubility of cations important in chemistry?

The solubility of cations is important in chemistry because it plays a crucial role in many chemical reactions and processes. It can affect the formation of precipitates, the stability of solutions, and the concentration of ions in a solution. It is also important in determining the properties and behavior of substances in different environments.