Solubility of CS2: Temperature Effects

• Thread starter Karan Punjabi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the solubility of CS2 does not necessarily increase with an increase in temperature, despite the increase in ionic product of water. This is due to the small amount of ions present. The reason for the decrease in solubility could be attributed to poor solute-solvent interaction and the evaporation of CS2 at higher temperatures. This trend is supported by published data and can be further researched by looking at the physical properties of CS2.
Karan Punjabi
The picture here is the solubility of CS2 as per the variation of temperature . As per my knowledge when we increase the temperature the ionic product of water increases i.e H+ and OH- ions increases so due to this the ion induced dipole interaction must increase hence the solubility must increase right? If I'm wrong at any point please correct me there and guide me. Thankyou

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160429-232820.png
    Screenshot_20160429-232820.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 626
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes (Kw goes up with temperature), no, it doesn't have to change the solubility of CS2, especially as the amounts of ions are still pretty minute.

Borek said:
Yes (Kw goes up with temperature), no, it doesn't have to change the solubility of CS2, especially as the amounts of ions are still pretty minute.
Ohk if you are right then why its solubility is decreasing

Probably for the same reason solubility of most inert gases goes down with the temperature (even if CS2 at STP is not a gas).

Thats what...I want to know the reason...

Could CS2 have poor solute-solvent interaction? It is a linear molecule with very weak diametrically opposing dipoles. As temperature increases the evaporation of CS2 would increase leaving a lower concentration remaining in solution. Wikipedia - Physical Properties of CS2 does show a rapid decrease in concentration as a function of temp. Here's the published trend.
upload_2016-5-2_21-11-25.png

Likes Karan Punjabi

1. What is the solubility of CS2 at different temperatures?

The solubility of CS2 decreases as temperature increases. At 0°C, the solubility is approximately 3.2 g/100 mL of water. This decreases to 0.8 g/100 mL at 100°C.

2. Why does the solubility of CS2 decrease with temperature?

This is because CS2 is a nonpolar molecule and water is a polar solvent. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of water molecules also increases, causing them to move more rapidly and break apart the weaker intermolecular forces holding CS2 molecules together.

3. How do temperature effects impact the solubility of CS2 in other solvents?

The solubility of CS2 may vary in different solvents, but the general trend remains the same - as temperature increases, the solubility decreases. This is because the strength of intermolecular forces between CS2 and the solvent molecules is affected by temperature.

4. Can the solubility of CS2 be increased at higher temperatures?

No, the solubility of CS2 cannot be increased at higher temperatures. The solubility curve for CS2 is downward sloping, meaning that increasing temperature will always decrease solubility.

5. How does the solubility of CS2 at different temperatures affect its practical uses?

The temperature effect on solubility is important for industries that use CS2 as a solvent. Higher temperatures may be needed to dissolve CS2, and as temperature decreases, the solubility also decreases, making it more difficult to dissolve. This information is important for determining the appropriate conditions for using CS2 in various processes.