Solubility of Metal Hydroxide in Solutions

In summary, after analyzing the common ion effect and using Le Chatelier's principle, it can be concluded that the solubility of calcium hydroxide (s) is least in 0.2 M barium hydroxide solution. This is due to the presence of a common ion (hydroxide) and the stoichiometry of the equilibrium equation. The use of the solubility product constant (Ksp) can also be utilized to determine the solubility of calcium hydroxide in different solutions.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Of the following solutions, the solubility of calcium hydroxide (s) is least in:

1) 0.4 M calcium chloride
2) 0.2 M barium hydroxide
3) 0.25 M calcium nitrate
4) 0.3 M potassium hydroxide
5) 0.45 M sodium nitrate

Homework Equations

Either I haven't gotten to the relevant lecture yet or the prof just doesn't cover this topic in lecture. Either way, I found a U. Texas lecture online explaining that for the solubility of magnesium hydroxide, it is highest in a solution of hydrochloric acid as opposed to pure water, sodium hydroxide, or magnesium chloride, since the acidic hydrochloric acid will neutralize the hydroxide in the metal hydroxide, allowing more to dissolve.

The Attempt at a Solution

So by the above logic, I can eliminate choices 3 and 5, since these dissolve into parts that don't even appear on my acid-base table. They aren't going to be acidic or basic in solution; they're actually salts resulting from neutralization reactions. Choice 1 is also a salt, so we can eliminate that choice.

We are left with choices 2 and 4. Choice 2 has the higher hydroxide concentration (0.2 M * 2, the subscript of hydroxide) so it appears that solution would be the least favorable to calcium hydroxide dissolution since solution 2 is already very basic, which seems to be the exact opposite environment of an solution environment favorable to metal hydroxide dissolution.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not about acid-base reactions, more like a common ion effect.

You already know about Ka, so you are ready to learn what the Ksp (solubility product) is.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
This is not about acid-base reactions, more like a common ion effect.

You already know about Ka, so you are ready to learn what the Ksp (solubility product) is.

Thanks for the pointer! I know I saw the Common-Ion Effect in my textbook as a heading; I'll be sure to read up on that :)!

Alright, this is what I got from learning about the common ion effect, which is effectively an application of Le Chatelier's principle.

The presence of a common ion shifts the solubility equilibrium toward the undissolved solid, because Le Chatelier's principle states that a disruption in equilibrium through an addition of material will cause a system to return to equilibrium by attempting to consume the excess material.

So in the case of calcium hydroxide, we have the following solubility equilibrium:

[tex]Ca(OH)_{2}(s) \leftrightharpoons Ca^{2+}(aq) + 2OH^{-}(aq)[/tex]

Step 1: Let's consider the answer choices individually:

Calcium is a common ion. Solubility would be low in this solution.

Hydroxide is a common ion. Solubility would be low.

Calcium is a common ion. Solubility would be low.

Hydroxide is a common ion. Solubility would be low.

5) 0.45 M sodium nitrate

No common ions. Solubility would be higher than the other solutions.

Step 2: We can eliminate choice 5. Now we can examine the number of moles of the common ions added by the solutions. I'd expect that the more moles of common ions contributed by the solutions, the lower the solubility. We can find the number of moles by multiplying the molarity of the solution by the subscript or coefficient of the common ion.

0.4 * 1 = 0.4

0.2 * 2 = 0.4

0.25 * 1 = 0.25

0.3 * 1 = 0.3

We have now narrowed the answer choices down to 1 and 2.

0.4 * 1 = 0.4

0.2 * 2 = 0.4

Step 3: Upon reinspection of the balanced equilibrium equation:

[tex]Ca(OH)_{2}(s) \leftrightharpoons Ca^{2+}(aq) + 2OH^{-}(aq)[/tex]

We find that it takes twice as much hydroxide ions to shift the equilibrium to the left as it does calcium ions. So I conclude that solid calcium hydroxide will be least soluble in a solution of 0.4 M calcium chloride due to the common-ion effect and examination of equilibrium stoichiometry.

I'm fairly sure I did everything right up to the last part - not sure about the stoichiometric part.

Last edited:
Qube said:
I'd expect that the more moles of common ions contributed by the solutions, the lower the solubility.

To some extent - yes. But for exact results you have to plug numbers into Ksp.

Borek said:
To some extent - yes. But for exact results you have to plug numbers into Ksp.

Ksp is for calcium hydroxide, I think, correct?

If I have the Ksp for calcium chloride I just plug in the numbers for the common ions contributed, correct? E.g. for calcium chloride I could plug in the concentration of calcium ions contributed by CaCl2, correct?

Qube said:
Ksp is for calcium hydroxide, I think, correct?

Yes, that's the one you will need.

If I have the Ksp for calcium chloride I just plug in the numbers for the common ions contributed, correct? E.g. for calcium chloride I could plug in the concentration of calcium ions contributed by CaCl2, correct?

I don't see anything wrong about what you wrote, but I strongly suggest you read about Ksp, as I have a gut feeling you don't know yet how it works.

Alright :). I don't know how the solubility constant works but I'll sure as heck find out tomorrow! Thanks again!

Okay ... I think I figured it out now :). Thanks again to you Borek for pointing me into the right direction. Here is the ICE table I set up:

http://i.minus.com/jNGbtzDF3Srz4.jpg

Anyway with the ICE table I set up, I solve for Ksp as shown beneath each ICE table by plugging in Ksp = 6.5*10^-6.

I get, however, the opposite answer as I got before; that the solution is least soluble in barium hydroxide rather than calcium chloride.

What's up? Was there something wrong with my previous reasoning?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure I understand your approach.

Actually no need for the ICE table - while it is not wrong to use it, you can safely assume solubility of the calcium hydroxide is so low it won't substantially change the concentration of the common ion already present in the solution. See the end of the post.

Depending on which ion is already present in the solution, solubility will be either

[tex]s = \frac {K_{sp}} {[Ca^{2+}]}[/tex]

or

[tex]s = \frac {K_{sp}} {[OH^-]^2}[/tex]

Note concentration being squared in the second case - that makes a huge difference. Now it is just a matter of plugging one of the concentrations into the equation to calculate solubility.

After calculating solubility you can check by how much concentration of the ion present in the solution changed. Say, for 0.2 M Ba(OH)2 [OH-]=0.4 M, according to wikipedia Ksp=4.68×10−6, so the solubility is

[tex]s = \frac {4.68 \times 10^{-6}}{0.4^2} = 3 \times 10^{-5}[/tex]

Concentration of OH- grows by 2×3×10-5 - compared to initial 0.4 M. It is as if didn't change.

Borek said:
I am not sure I understand your approach.

Actually no need for the ICE table - while it is not wrong to use it, you can safely assume solubility of the calcium hydroxide is so low it won't substantially change the concentration of the common ion already present in the solution. See the end of the post.

Depending on which ion is already present in the solution, solubility will be either

[tex]s = \frac {K_{sp}} {[Ca^{2+}]}[/tex]

or

[tex]s = \frac {K_{sp}} {[OH^-]^2}[/tex]

Note concentration being squared in the second case - that makes a huge difference. Now it is just a matter of plugging one of the concentrations into the equation to calculate solubility.

After calculating solubility you can check by how much concentration of the ion present in the solution changed. Say, for 0.2 M Ba(OH)2 [OH-]=0.4 M, according to wikipedia Ksp=4.68×10−6, so the solubility is

[tex]s = \frac {4.68 \times 10^{-6}}{0.4^2} = 3 \times 10^{-5}[/tex]

Concentration of OH- grows by 2×3×10-5 - compared to initial 0.4 M. It is as if didn't change.

Thank you!

It seems as if then the solubility of calcium hydroxide then is less soluble in the 0.4 M calcium chloride solution because for that solution, I get s = 1.6 * 10^-5.

On the other hand for the 0.2 M barium hydroxide solution I get s = 4.0 * 10^-5.

S (CaCl2) < S of barium hydroxide so it seems that 1 is the correct answer.

----

Edit:

I plugged in the Ksp for calcium hydroxide into each; I'm not sure if this is correct. Sorry, but it seems as if I'm still confused about solubility products!

Sigh.

Sorry, I was apparently not thinking yesterday. My formula for solubility in the solution containing calcium ions was wrong (which is obvious when you think about units - both formulas can't be right at the same time).

Instead of listing just formulas I should explain where they come from, they are pretty easy to derive. When solubility is s, s=[Ca2+] and s=1/2[OH-] (where we refer to concentration of ions from the dissolution, not to the total concentration if one of the ions was already present in the solution). I hope that is obvious.

Now, we know

[tex]K_{sp} = [Ca^{2+}][OH^-]^2[/tex]

so it is a matter of plugging in known concentration of ions already present (perhaps - if the solubility is high - using ICE table as you did), solving for the other ion concentration, and expressing solubility using this other ion. For solution containing known concentration of calcium ions we have

[tex][OH^-] = \sqrt{\frac{K_{sp}}{[Ca^{2+}]}}[/tex]

so

[tex]s = \frac 1 2 \sqrt{\frac{K_{sp}}{[Ca^{2+}]}}[/tex]

For solution containing [OH-] ions formula I gave was OK.

1. What is the definition of solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent and form a homogeneous mixture called a solution. It is typically measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. What factors affect the solubility of metal hydroxides in solutions?

The solubility of metal hydroxides in solutions is affected by several factors, including the temperature and pressure of the solution, the pH of the solution, and the chemical properties of both the metal hydroxide and the solvent. For example, the solubility of metal hydroxides generally increases with increasing temperature, but may decrease with increasing pH.

3. Why are some metal hydroxides more soluble in acidic solutions?

Some metal hydroxides, such as aluminum hydroxide, are more soluble in acidic solutions because the protons from the acid can react with the hydroxide ions in the metal hydroxide to form water, which helps to break up the solid compound and increase its solubility.

4. How does the solubility of metal hydroxides change with the addition of other substances?

The solubility of metal hydroxides can be affected by the addition of other substances, such as salts or acids. In some cases, these substances can compete with the metal hydroxide for available solvent molecules, causing the solubility to decrease. In other cases, they may react with the metal hydroxide to form a more soluble compound, increasing its solubility.

5. How is the solubility of metal hydroxides measured?

The solubility of metal hydroxides is typically measured using various analytical techniques, such as titration or spectrophotometry. These methods involve determining the concentration of the solute in a given volume of solution, and then using this information to calculate the solubility of the metal hydroxide at a specific temperature and pressure.