Solute Particle Count in KBr, HCl &Na_2CO_3

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the four aqueous solutions contain the same number of particles of solute as are contained in 250 mL of 2.0 mol/L KBr. KBr will dissociate into K^+ and Br^-, so there will be 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 mol of ions. C_{2}H_{5}OH is not soluble in water, leaving 1.0 x 1.0 = 1.0 mol of molecules. HCl will dissociate into H^+ and Cl^-, so there will be 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 mol of ions. Choice D is the correct answer.
recon
Question:

Which of the following aqueous solutions contain(s) the same number of particles of solute as are contained in 250 mL of 2.0 mol/L KBr

(i) 1.0 L of 1.0 mol/L ethanol, [tex]C_2H_5OH[/tex]
(ii) 250 mL of 3.0 mol/L calcium chloride, [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]
(iii) 500 mL of 1.0 mol/L hydrochloric acid, [tex]HCl[/tex]
(iv) 500 mL of 1.0 mol/L sodium carbonate, [tex]Na_2CO_3[/tex]

The way I see it, there are 0.25 x 2 = 0.5 moles of KBr
and 0.5 x 1 = 0.5 moles of [tex]HCl[/tex] and [tex]Na_2CO_3[/tex] in (iii) and (iv). Since they all have the same number of moles, they should have the same number of atoms? Is that what they mean by "same number of particles of solute"?

But according to the answer guide, it says that the answers are (i) and (iii).

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]KBr[/itex] will dissociate into [itex]K^+[/itex] and [itex]Br^-[/itex], so there will be 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 mol of ions. [itex]C_{2}H_{5}OH[/itex] is not soluble in water, leaving 1.0 x 1.0 = 1.0 mol of molecules. [itex]HCl[/itex] will dissociate into [itex]H^+[/itex] and [itex]Cl^-[/itex], so there will be 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 mol of ions.

Thanks a lot! I understand better now. However, there is still another problem I am stuck with and can't seem to figure out:

A solution contains potassium nitrate and potassium sulphate. The concentration of potassium ions is 0.650 mol/L and of nitrate ions is 0.400 mol/L. What is the concentration of the sulfate ions?

I don't even know where to start? :( Can someone give me hints?

recon said:
A solution contains potassium nitrate and potassium sulphate. The concentration of potassium ions is 0.650 mol/L and of nitrate ions is 0.400 mol/L. What is the concentration of the sulfate ions?

You can start by comparing the concentration of sulfate to the concentration of potassium ions (1:2 - sulfate has charge of -2, whereas potassium has a charge of +1). I don't see how you can solve this without knowing the ratio of potassium nitrate to potassium sulfate, though - or, more accurately, the ratio of nitrate to sulfate. Are you sure there is no more information given?

We are allowed to refer to the Periodic Table of Elements if that is what you mean. Other than that, we are not given anything else.

EDIT: We were given four choices for the answer. They are
A. 0.325 mol/L
B. 0.250 mol/L
C. 0.200 mol/L
D. 0.125 mol/L

Last edited:
No more info is required...other than the permission to assume complete (100%) dissociation.

Given :

[tex] [K^+]_{tot} = 0.65M = [K^+]_{nitrate} + [K^+]_{sulfate}[/tex]

[tex] [NO_3^-] = 0.4M = [K^+]_{nitrate} [/tex]

[tex] So, ~~ [K^+]_{sulfate} = 0.65M - 0.4M = 0.25M = 2*[SO_4^{2-}] [/tex]

[tex] Thus, ~~[SO_4^{2-}] = 0.25M/2 = 0.125M [/tex]

Choice D is the correct answer.

Okay, that's pretty obvious. Guess I need to get to bed earlier.

Related to Solute Particle Count in KBr, HCl &Na_2CO_3

1. What is solute particle count and why is it important?

Solute particle count refers to the number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions) present in a given amount of solvent. It is important because it can help determine the concentration of a solute, which can affect the properties and behavior of a solution.

2. How is solute particle count measured in KBr, HCl, and Na2CO3 solutions?

Solute particle count in these solutions can be measured using techniques such as spectrophotometry, refractometry, or conductometry. These methods involve measuring the absorbance, refractive index, or electrical conductivity of the solution, which are directly related to the solute particle count.

3. What factors can affect the solute particle count in KBr, HCl, and Na2CO3 solutions?

The solute particle count in these solutions can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes or impurities. Changes in these factors can alter the concentration of the solution and therefore impact the solute particle count.

4. How does the solute particle count in KBr, HCl, and Na2CO3 solutions relate to their molar mass?

The solute particle count is directly proportional to the molar mass of a solute. This means that as the molar mass increases, the number of particles present in a given amount of solution also increases. Therefore, the solute particle count in KBr, HCl, and Na2CO3 solutions can be used to determine the molar mass of the solute.

5. How can the solute particle count in KBr, HCl, and Na2CO3 solutions be used in chemical analysis?

The solute particle count in these solutions can be used in chemical analysis to determine the concentration of a solute, which is an important parameter in many experiments and processes. It can also be used to identify and quantify impurities in a solution, which can impact the accuracy and reliability of experimental results.