Solution check for a Rate problem

• Thread starter opus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the mass of the candies in the container increases at the rate of 0.250 cm/s when the height of the candies in the container increases.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A vertical container with base area measuring 14.0 cm by 17.0 cm is being filled with identical pieces of candy, each with a volume of 50.0##mm^3## and a mass of 0.0200 g. Assume that the volume of the empty spaces between the candies is negligible. If the height of the candies in the container increases at the rate of 0.250 cm/s, at what rate (kilograms per minute) does the mass of the candies in the container increase?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attached image to see my work and drawings. My solution is boxed in the bottom, but the text doesn't have a solution to this problem so I'm unsure if it's correct or not.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 7.47.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 7.47.38 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
opus said:

Homework Statement

A vertical container with base area measuring 14.0 cm by 17.0 cm is being filled witqh identical pieces of candy, each with a volume of 50.0##mm^3## and a mass of 0.0200 g. Assume that the volume of the empty spaces between the candies is negligible. If the height of the candies in the container increases at the rate of 0.250 cm/s, at what rate (kilograms per minute) does the mass of the candies in the container increase?
Why does ##\pi## appear in your solution?

AM

Likes opus
I didn't check the arithmetic operations but your method looks correct to me. We are not given whether each candy is spherical, but we are given that the space between the candies is negligible and I think that's enough.

Likes opus
Andrew Mason said:
Why does ##\pi## appear in your solution?

AM
That was unnecessary information that I came up with, but the reason it's there is because I used the volume of a sphere formula to get the radius and the diameter of each candy but I ended up not needing those.

Delta2 said:
I didn't check the arithmetic operations but your method looks correct to me. We are not given whether each candy is spherical, but we are given that the space between the candies is negligible and I think that's enough.
Ok that's all I needed to know- if the method was correct or not. I was initially under the impression that I'd need to find the diameter of each candy to see how many I could fit in the base laying flat but that seemed not needed. Thank you.

Likes Delta2

What is a solution check for a rate problem?

A solution check for a rate problem is a method of verifying the accuracy of a calculated solution to a problem involving rates. It involves plugging the solution back into the original problem to ensure that it satisfies all given conditions and produces the expected result.

Why is a solution check important for rate problems?

A solution check is important for rate problems because it helps to catch any errors or miscalculations in the solution. It also ensures that the solution is valid and satisfies all given conditions, providing confidence in the accuracy of the answer.

How do you perform a solution check for a rate problem?

To perform a solution check for a rate problem, you first need to identify the given conditions and the expected result. Then, plug the calculated solution back into the original problem and solve to see if it produces the expected result. If it does, the solution is considered valid and accurate.

What should you do if the solution check for a rate problem does not produce the expected result?

If the solution check does not produce the expected result, it is important to double check the calculations and make sure all given conditions were correctly accounted for. If the error cannot be identified, it is best to seek assistance from a colleague or supervisor.

Can a solution check be skipped for rate problems?

No, a solution check should never be skipped for rate problems. It is an essential step in the problem-solving process and helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the solution. Skipping the solution check can lead to incorrect answers and potentially cause problems in real-world applications.