Solution manual for Ivan Niven's An Introduction to the Theory of Num

In summary, the individual is self-studying Ivan Niven's An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers and is stuck on the problems. They are asking if anyone has a solution manual for the textbook, preferably in a softcopy version. They also inquire about the existence of an online repository for solution manuals for textbooks without solutions provided. However, it is mentioned that Instructor Solution Manuals are not intended for students and suggest finding a textbook with some solutions provided. The thread is then closed.
yucheng
I am self-studying Ivan Niven's An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers. Unfortunately, I find myself stuck while doing the problems. With this in mind, I would like to ask whether anyone here has the solution manual for Niven's textbook. Hopefully a softcopy version is available? Thank you in advance.

P.S. is there any online repository of solution manuals written by people for the benefit users of textbooks that do not provide solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
yucheng said:
I would like to ask whether anyone here has the solution manual for Niven's textbook.
I searched, but there does not appear to be a solutions manual for Nivens book.

Baluncore said:
I searched, but there does not appear to be a solutions manual for Nivens book.
Do you mean its existence, or its availability on the web?

https://books.google.com.my/books/a...y_of_Numbers.html?id=yU_HPAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y
P.S. it might be inaccurate

In the introduction, the authors claim that there is an Instructor's Manual that provides the solutions to all starred questions.

P.S.S. Acutally, I did try searching all over the web, but to no avail.

ISBN is 9780471063940 / 0471063940
Introduction to the Theory of Numbers Solution Set (4th Edition)
by Niven, Ivan; Zuckerman, Herbert S.
Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1980
Edition: Hardcover. Language: English
It is not listed on https://www.bookfinder.com “This edition is currently not available”.
It is not listed on http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Likes yucheng
yucheng said:
I am self-studying Ivan Niven's An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers. Unfortunately, I find myself stuck while doing the problems. With this in mind, I would like to ask whether anyone here has the solution manual for Niven's textbook. Hopefully a softcopy version is available? Thank you in advance.

P.S. is there any online repository of solution manuals written by people for the benefit users of textbooks that do not provide solutions?
Instructor Solution Manuals are for instructors, not for students. Try to find a textbook that has half of the problem solutions in the back of the book -- that's the best you can do when self-studying.

Thread is closed.

• Skeptical
Likes member 587159 and yucheng

1. What is a solution manual?

A solution manual is a guide or supplement to a textbook that provides step-by-step solutions to the problems and exercises in the textbook. It is often used by students to check their work and better understand the material.

2. Is the solution manual necessary for understanding the material?

No, the solution manual is not necessary for understanding the material. It is meant to be used as a supplement to the textbook and can help clarify concepts and provide additional practice problems, but it is not essential for understanding the material.

3. Can the solution manual be used for cheating?

No, the solution manual should not be used for cheating. It is intended for educational purposes and using it to cheat on assignments or exams is a violation of academic integrity.

4. Are the solutions in the manual always correct?

The solutions in the manual are typically checked by the author or a team of experts to ensure accuracy. However, mistakes can still occur. It is important for students to use the solutions as a guide and not rely solely on them.

5. Can the solution manual be used as a substitute for studying?

No, the solution manual should not be used as a substitute for studying. It is important for students to actively engage with the material and use the solution manual as a tool for practice and understanding, not as a replacement for learning.