Solution to Coupled Second Order ODE's

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach of solving two coupled second order ODEs by putting them in state space. The problem also includes additional equations, but they are considered irrelevant. The method is to plug one variable into the other's equation to obtain a set of four first order equations. However, there is a concern about creating a redundant state space matrix. The conversation also mentions a standard method for solving coupled first order ODEs and suggests that the approach discussed is a form of "reinventing the wheel."
QuantumLollipop

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm trying to 'solve' two coupled second order ODE's with the intent of putting them in state space. My specific problem is more complex and includes additional equations which are irrelevant. Essentially I can solve the problem if I know the solution to this. x1 and x2 are time dependent variables and A-H are constant coefficients.

I initially thought I could simply plug x2 into x1's equation to obtain one equation and then x1 into x2's to obtain the other equation. However, I feel like this would create a redundant state space matrix which would be otherwise useless. Really all I need is these two in reduced state space

Homework Equations

upload_2015-9-29_16-33-18.png

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-9-29_17-6-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-29_17-6-6.png
    upload_2015-9-29_17-6-6.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a correct approach. Is there a question?

Incidentally, these are coupled ODEs, not PDEs.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Incidentally, these are coupled ODEs, not PDEs.
Now fixed

Likes Chestermiller
I was just wondering if this was a valid approach to state space from two second order equations to four first orders. I appreciate the input and if this is valid then all is well. Thanks! Ah yes , most definitely ODE's, I must have mis-typed the 'O'... twice.

QuantumLollipop said:
I was just wondering if this was a valid approach to state space from two second order equations to four first orders. I appreciate the input and if this is valid then all is well. Thanks! Ah yes , most definitely ODE's, I must have mis-typed the 'O'... twice.
You should be made aware that there is a standard way of analytically solving a set of linear coupled first order ODEs like this.

You should also be made aware that the method you so cleverly developed so far (no sarcasm intended) is also a standard method of analyzing coupled higher order ODEs. Welcome to the world of "reinventing the wheel." I've personally visited that world lots of times.

Chet

Likes Hypercube

What is a coupled second order ODE?

A coupled second order ODE is a system of two or more second order differential equations that are linked together by their derivatives. This means that the equations cannot be solved independently and must be solved simultaneously.

What are some examples of coupled second order ODE's?

Some examples of coupled second order ODE's include the equations of motion for a double pendulum, the Lotka-Volterra predator-prey model, and the equations for a coupled spring-mass system.

How do you solve a system of coupled second order ODE's?

To solve a system of coupled second order ODE's, you first need to rewrite the equations as a system of first order ODE's. This can be done by introducing new variables and rearranging the equations. Then, you can use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods to approximate the solutions. Alternatively, you can use analytical methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

What are the challenges in solving coupled second order ODE's?

One of the main challenges in solving coupled second order ODE's is the complexity of the equations. The equations can become quite large and difficult to manipulate, making it challenging to find an analytical solution. In addition, the initial conditions for the equations must be carefully chosen in order to obtain accurate solutions.

Why are coupled second order ODE's important in science?

Coupled second order ODE's are important in science because they are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. By solving these equations, scientists can gain a better understanding of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.