Solutions of a linear differential equation of second order

In summary, the conversation discusses checking for a solution in the ring $\text{Exp}(\mathbb{C})$ for a linear differential equation of second order. The method of using the characteristic equation and the form of the non-homogeneous solution is mentioned, along with the methods of undetermined coefficients and reduction of order. Overall, the conversation provides insights and suggestions for continuing the work.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to check if a linear differential equation of second order has a solution in the ring $\text{Exp}(\mathbb{C})$.

We define $\text{Exp}(\mathbb{C})$ as the set of expresions $$\alpha=\alpha_1 e^{\mu_i x}+\dots \alpha_N e^{\mu_N x}$$ where $\alpha_i \in \mathbb{C}$ and $\mu_i \in \mathbb{C}$. (The $\mu_i$'s are pairwise distinct.)

I have done the following:

The general linear differential equation is $$ay''(x)+by'(x)+cy(x)=f(x) \ \ \ \ \ (*)$$

The corresponding homogeneous problem is $$ay''(x)+by'(x)+cy(x)=0$$ The characteristic equation is $$am^2+bm+c=0 \\ \Delta=b^2-4ac \\ m_{1,2}=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}, a \neq 0$$

There is a solution in $\text{Exp}(\mathbb{C})$ if $b^2-4ac \neq 0$, since then the solution of the homogeneous problem is given by the formula $$y_H(x)=c_1e^{m_1 x}+c_2e^{m_2 x}$$

Since $f(x)$ is of the form $\displaystyle{\sum_{i=1}^n \alpha_i e^{\mu_i x}}$ the particular solution of the non-homogeneous differential equation is $\displaystyle{y_p=\sum_{i=1}^n h_ix^{k_i}e^{r_ix}}$, where $k_i$ is the multiplicity of the eigenvalue $r_i$. Substituting this at $(*)$ we get $$a\sum_{i=1}^n h_i \left [k_i(k_i-1)x^{k_i-2}+r_ik_ix^{k_i}k_ix^{k_i-1}+r_ix^{k_i}\right ]e^{r_ix} +b\sum_{i=1}^n h_i\left [k_ix^{k_i-1}+r_ix^{k_i}\right ]e^{r_ix}+c\sum_{i=1}^n h_ix^{k_i}e^{r_ix}=\sum_{i=1}^n \alpha_i e^{\mu_i x}$$

When $r_i=\mu_i$ we have $$h_i \left [a\left [k_i(k_i-1)x^{k_i-2}+\mu_ik_ix^{k_i}k_ix^{k_i-1}+\mu_ix^{k_i}\right ]+b\left [k_ix^{k_i-1}+\mu_ix^{k_i}\right ]+cx^{k_i} \right ]=\alpha_i$$
Is this correct so far?

How could we continue? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! As a fellow scientist, I can offer some insights and suggestions on your work so far.

Firstly, your approach seems to be on the right track. It's important to consider the characteristic equation and the form of the non-homogeneous solution when determining if a linear differential equation has a solution in $\text{Exp}(\mathbb{C})$. Your calculations and substitutions look correct, so great job on that!

To continue, you could consider the cases where $r_i \neq \mu_i$ and $r_i = \mu_i$. For the case where $r_i \neq \mu_i$, you could use the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the particular solution. This involves assuming a form for $y_p$ and solving for the coefficients using the non-homogenous equation. For example, if $r_i = \mu_i + 1$, you could assume $y_p = h_ix^{k_i+1}e^{\mu_ix}$. Then, substitute this into the non-homogeneous equation and solve for $h_i$. This approach can be extended to other values of $r_i$.

For the case where $r_i = \mu_i$, you could use the method of reduction of order. This involves finding a second linearly independent solution to the homogeneous equation and using it to construct a particular solution. For example, if $r_i = \mu_i$, you could use the solution $y_2 = x^{k_i}e^{\mu_ix}$ obtained from the characteristic equation, and construct $y_p = u(x)y_2$. Then, substitute this into the non-homogeneous equation and solve for $u(x)$.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a linear differential equation of second order?

A linear differential equation of second order is an equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable, along with its first derivative and the variable itself. It can be written in the form of a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x)y = f(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and a(x), b(x), c(x), and f(x) are functions of x.

2. What are the solutions of a linear differential equation of second order?

The solutions of a linear differential equation of second order are the values of the dependent variable y that satisfy the equation. They can be found by solving the equation using various methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

3. How are initial conditions used in finding the solution of a linear differential equation of second order?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are used to determine the specific solution of a linear differential equation of second order that satisfies the given conditions. These conditions can include the values of the dependent variable y and its derivatives at a certain point or over a certain interval.

4. Can a linear differential equation of second order have multiple solutions?

Yes, a linear differential equation of second order can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of the equation may contain arbitrary constants, and different values of these constants can result in different specific solutions. However, if the equation is given with specific initial conditions, then there will only be one unique solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of solutions of linear differential equations of second order?

Linear differential equations of second order are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various systems. Some examples include the oscillations of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They can also be used to describe the growth or decay of populations in biology and environmental science.