Non homogeneous differential equation - Particular solution

In summary, when dealing with non-homogeneous differential equations where the non-homogeneous term is of the form $e^{mx}P_n(x)$, the particular solution can be written as $y_p=x^k(A_0+A_1x+ \dots +A_nx^n)e^{mx}$ where $k$ is the multiplicity of the eigenvalue $w=m$. When the non-homogeneous term is of the form $\sum_i s_ix^ie^{r_i x}$, the particular solution is $\sum_i h_i x^{k_i}x^i e^{r_ix}$ where $k_i$ is the multiplicity of $r_i$. This is because $\sum_i s_ix
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

When we have the non-homogeneous differential equation $$ay''(x)+by'(x)+cy(x)=f(x)$$ and the non-homogeneous term $f(x)$ is of the form $e^{mx}P_n(x)$ we know that the particular solution is $$y_p=x^k(A_0+A_1x+ \dots +A_nx^n)e^{mx}$$ where $k$ is the multiplicity of the eigenvalue $w=m$. When we have the non-homogeneous differential equation $$ay''(x)+by'(x)+cy(x)=\sum_i s_ix^ie^{r_i x}$$ will the particular solution be $$y_p=\sum_i h_i x^{k_i}x^i e^{r_ix}$$ where $k_i$ is the multiplicity of $r_i$ ? (Wondering)Or isn't $\displaystyle{\sum_i s_ix^ie^{r_i x}}$ the general form of an element of the ring that contains the polynomials and the exponential sums? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the particular solution to the non-homogeneous differential equation $$ay''(x)+by'(x)+cy(x)=\sum_i s_ix^ie^{r_i x}$$ will be $$y_p=\sum_i h_i x^{k_i}x^i e^{r_ix}$$ where $k_i$ is the multiplicity of $r_i$. $\displaystyle{\sum_i s_ix^ie^{r_i x}}$ is indeed the general form of an element of the ring that contains the polynomials and the exponential sums.

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the right-hand side is not equal to zero. This means that the solution to the equation will include a particular solution, in addition to the general solution.

2. How is a particular solution different from a general solution?

A general solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation includes all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. A particular solution is obtained by adding a specific form of function to the general solution, known as the complementary function.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in finding a particular solution?

Initial conditions are necessary in order to determine the values of the constants in the general solution and obtain a particular solution. These conditions provide specific values for the dependent variable and its derivatives at a certain point or interval, allowing us to solve for the unknown constants.

4. Can a non-homogeneous differential equation have multiple particular solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous differential equation can have multiple particular solutions. This is because the complementary function can have different forms, resulting in different particular solutions. However, all of these solutions will still satisfy the given initial conditions.

5. How is a particular solution useful in real-world applications?

A particular solution can be used to model and predict the behavior of real-world phenomena that are governed by non-homogeneous differential equations. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to describe the relationship between variables and their rates of change, making particular solutions essential for understanding and analyzing these systems.