Solutions to Bessel's equation with Wolfram

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joppy
  • Start date
In summary, Bessel's equation, for any non-integer $\nu$, has two independent solutions, one of which is singular at the origin and is known as the "Bessel's function of the second kind." This function is often written as a combination of Bessel's functions of the first and second kind, but they are not equivalent. The solution to Bessel's equation with non-integer $\nu$ is given by $y(x) = c_1 J_{\nu} + c_2 Y_{\nu}$, as stated in numerous texts. However, in the provided link, the solution is not in the form of $y(x) = c_1 J_{\nu} + c_2 J
Joppy
MHB
Hi

Why does Wolfram find the solution of Bessels equation with non-integer $\nu$ to be of the form $y = c_1 J_\nu + c_2 Y_\nu$. I thought Bessels function of the second kind only arose in situations were $\nu$ is an integer. What's going on here? Thanks :).

As an example, see here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know where you got that idea. Bessel's equation, for any [tex]\nu[/tex], is a second order differential equation so has two independent solutions, one of which is singular at the origin. That one is the "Bessel's function of the second kind".

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know where you got that idea.

I don't know where you got the idea that your response constitutes any sort of answer.

It stated in numerous texts that the general solution to Bessels equation with non-integer $\nu$ is given by, $y(x) = c_1 J_{\nu} + c_2 J_{-\nu}$, two linearly independent solutions.

Bessel's equation, for any [tex]\nu[/tex], is a second order differential equation so has two independent solutions, one of which is singular at the origin. That one is the "Bessel's function of the second kind".

When Bessels function of the second kind is introduced we then say that a general solution for all x>0 is $y(x) = c_1 J_{\nu} + c_2 Y_{\nu}$, as you have said. I realize that $Y_{\nu}$ includes both Bessels function of the first kind of order $\nu$ and $\-nu$, but this doesn't make them equivalent.

So, again, my question. Why, in the link in the OP, is the solution not of the form $y(x) = c_1 J_{\nu} + c_2 J_{-\nu}$, since $\nu$ is non-integer.

What is Bessel's equation?

Bessel's equation is a second-order differential equation that arises in many areas of physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel who first studied the equation in the 19th century.

What is the general form of the solution to Bessel's equation?

The general form of the solution to Bessel's equation is a linear combination of two independent functions, known as Bessel functions of the first and second kind. These functions are denoted by J and Y, respectively, and can be expressed in terms of power series or integrals.

How can Wolfram|Alpha help with solutions to Bessel's equation?

Wolfram|Alpha is a computational knowledge engine that can provide numerical solutions to Bessel's equation for specific values of the parameters involved. It can also graph the solutions and provide additional properties, such as roots and extrema.

Can Wolfram|Alpha compute solutions to Bessel's equation for complex parameters?

Yes, Wolfram|Alpha can calculate Bessel functions for complex arguments and parameters. It can also compute the solutions for different branches of the functions, which can be useful in certain applications.

What are some common applications of solutions to Bessel's equation?

Bessel functions and their solutions to Bessel's equation have many applications in physics and engineering, including in the analysis of electromagnetic waves, heat conduction, diffusion, and vibration problems. They are also used in signal processing, image and sound recognition, and in various mathematical models of physical and biological phenomena.