Solve 100J Torque Problem with a 30cm Wrench and Force Vector

In summary, a 30cm long wrench is lying along the positive y-axis and gripping a bolt at the origin. A force of <0, 3, -4> is applied at the end of the wrench. To supply 100J of torque to the bolt, the magnitude of the force needed is found by solving the equation <0, 3, -4> x x = 100. However, the answer is incorrect and the correct method is to find the magnitude of the force vector by using Pythagoras theorem after multiplying the force vector by the scalar x found in the equation.
munther
A wrench 30cm long lies along the positive y-axis and grips a bolt in the origin. A force is applied in the
direction < 0; 3; -4 > at the end of the wrench. Find the magnitude of the force needed to supply 100J of
torque to the bolt.

how can i solve it?

r=<0,.3,0>
F=<0,3,4>
T= r X F =100
then i solved it by finding the det = 100

|i j k|
|0 .3 0| = 100
|0 3x -4x|

then x = 83.333 N

but the answer is wrong Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the wrong forum for the question, but no matter.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector from the components? What you've found (I didn't check your work, so I'll assume it's right) is a scalar multiplier x that satisfies the problem's constraints. Multiply the (0,3,4) vector by the scalar x to get the force vector (three orthogonal components), then find the magnitude using Pythagoras theorem in the usual way.

Last edited:

The answer is wrong because you did not include the unit for torque, which is Newton-meters (Nm). The correct equation should be T = r x F = 100 Nm. Therefore, the magnitude of the force needed to supply 100J of torque to the bolt is 100 Nm / 0.3 m = 333.33 N.

1. How do I solve a 100J torque problem?

To solve a 100J torque problem, you will need to use the equation T = r x F, where T is torque, r is the length of the lever arm (in this case, 30cm), and F is the force vector. You will also need to convert the units to be consistent (e.g. if the force vector is given in Newtons, the length of the lever arm should be in meters).

2. What is a wrench and how is it used in torque problems?

A wrench is a tool used to tighten or loosen bolts and nuts. In torque problems, a wrench is used to apply a force to a lever arm, which results in a torque.

3. What is a force vector?

A force vector is a mathematical representation of a force, showing its magnitude and direction. In torque problems, the force vector is the force being applied to the lever arm, and it is usually given in units of Newtons (N).

4. How do I calculate torque using a 30cm wrench?

To calculate torque using a 30cm wrench, you will need to use the equation T = r x F, where r is the length of the lever arm in meters (0.3m) and F is the force vector in Newtons. Make sure to convert the units to be consistent.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. Negative torque indicates that the force is causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction of a positive torque. In other words, the force is rotating the object counterclockwise instead of clockwise.