Solve "2Cu+(aq) → Cu + Cu2+(aq)" Equation ΔrH | Exam Prep Help

• Thread starter Ryan thermo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a chemistry problem involving the heat of reaction for the equation 2Cu+(aq) → Cu + Cu2+(aq). The first reaction can be solved by subtracting given equations, and an alternative approach is to reduce one mole of Cu(+) to Cu and oxidize another mole of Cu to Cu(2+).
Ryan thermo
Hi, I have my exam in a couple of weeks. And I get the jist of it. However their is one question that I am completely stuck on. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking over a last years practise text for exam and I am having trouble with this.

Cu(s) → Cu+(aq) + e ΔH = 602 kJ mol-1
Cu(s) → Cu2+(aq) + 2e ΔH = 795 kJ mol-1
Work out the Heat of Reaction for the following equation and comment on
the expected stabilities of Cu+ and Cu2+ ions as predicted from your
spdf answers in (d).

2Cu+(aq) → Cu + Cu2+(aq) ΔrH = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to break it into two equations. Cu+ to Cu2+ and Cu+ to Cu.

For the first reaction, you can find its ΔH by subtracting the equations given in data. ΔH would be 193 KJmol-1

Alternative approach, probably simpler:

The problem you are having is that you do not have a half-reaction connecting Cu(+) and Cu(2+)

So why not reduce both mole of Cu(+) to Cu, and couple it with oxidizing one mole of Cu all the way to Cu(2+)? That will balance the electrons, and produce the exact overall effect that you are wanting.

1. What does the equation "2Cu+(aq) → Cu + Cu2+(aq)" mean?

The equation represents a chemical reaction in which two copper ions (Cu+) in an aqueous solution combine to form one copper atom (Cu) and one copper ion (Cu2+).

2. What does the "ΔrH" in the equation stand for?

"ΔrH" stands for the change in enthalpy (heat) of the reaction. In this case, it represents the change in heat energy that occurs during the reaction.

3. How do you know if the reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

The sign of ΔrH indicates whether the reaction is exothermic or endothermic. If ΔrH is negative, the reaction is exothermic (releases heat). If ΔrH is positive, the reaction is endothermic (absorbs heat).

4. Can you determine the amount of heat released or absorbed from this equation?

No, the equation alone does not provide enough information to calculate the exact amount of heat released or absorbed. Other factors such as the concentration of the solution and temperature changes must also be considered.

5. What is the purpose of solving this equation?

Solving this equation allows us to understand the energy changes that occur during a chemical reaction. It also helps us predict the direction of a reaction and determine the conditions under which the reaction will occur.