Voltaric Cell/Cell Chemical Reaction

In summary: Zinc gets into the solution in the form of ions. If you wait long enough, anode will simply dissapear.
deteam

Homework Statement

9vbkuc.jpg

Which of the following are true statements about the above voltaric cell and the resulting cell chemical reaction ?

a) The zinc electrode is the cathode

b) Zinc will be consumed before copper

c) Electrons flow from the copper electrode to the zinc electrode

d) The half reaction for the anode is Cu2+(aq) + 2e− → Cu(s)

e) The species SO42− does not take part in the cell reaction

The Attempt at a Solution

i know a is false because zinc is the anode.
i know c is false because electrons flow from the zinc to the copper & ions flow from the copper to the zinc
i know d is false because the half reaction is the Oxidation at the anode Zn(s) --> Zn2+(aq) + 2e-
i believe e is true

===========
Reduction at the cathode
2H3O+(aq) + 2e --> H2(g) + 2H2O(l)
===========
any other help with this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deteam said:
Which of the following are true statements about the above voltaric cell and the resulting cell chemical reaction ?

We can't see the picture.

i know c is false because electrons flow from the zinc to the copper & ions flow from the copper to the zinc

You are right about electrons, but what ions?

You need two half reactions, so far you have listed one only - zinc oxidation. Something must be reduced at the same time.

--
methods

You haven't told us what the cell is! Is it: Zn | ZnSO4 || CuSO4 | Cu ? Or something else?

Use the above notation if the cell is different from the one above.

EDIT: Simul-posting with Borek!

you're right, 'e' is true.

Source: LUCID

updated this with the pic...and the second half reaction

Ok, now, what ions flow from the copper to zinc?

Is copper electrode consumed in the cell?

--

These flow from zinc to copper.

Ignoring the other question won't get you far - you have to answer it to answer b.

--

I believe the copper is consumed to answer Borek's question.

-1-

B is true as well as E, thank you for your help

Jay J said:
I believe the copper is consumed to answer Borek's question.

How?

What does 'consumed' mean in this context?

--
methods

Why is it that zinc is consumed? I don't see how it is consumed...the anode is still present even though it is oxidized...

No, zinc - once oxidized - gets into the solution in the form of ions. If you wait long enough, anode will simply dissapear.

--
methods

What is a Voltaric Cell/Cell Chemical Reaction?

A Voltaric Cell, also known as a voltaic cell or galvanic cell, is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox (reduction-oxidation) reaction. It consists of two half-cells connected by a conductive material and a salt bridge, allowing for the transfer of ions between the two half-cells. The chemical reaction between the two half-cells produces an electric current.

What is the difference between a Voltaric Cell and a Battery?

A Voltaric Cell is a single unit that converts chemical energy into electrical energy, while a battery is a collection of multiple cells connected in series or parallel to produce a greater amount of electrical energy. Additionally, batteries can be recharged and used multiple times, while a voltaric cell cannot be recharged.

What are the components of a Voltaric Cell?

A Voltaric Cell consists of two electrodes (anode and cathode), an electrolyte, and a conductive material to connect the electrodes. The anode is the site of oxidation, where electrons are lost, while the cathode is the site of reduction, where electrons are gained. The electrolyte is a solution of ions that allows for the transfer of charge between the electrodes, and the conductive material, usually a wire, completes the circuit.

What is the purpose of a Salt Bridge in a Voltaric Cell?

A Salt Bridge is a tube filled with an electrolyte solution that connects the two half-cells of a Voltaric Cell. Its purpose is to maintain electrical neutrality in the two half-cells by allowing the free flow of ions between them. This prevents the build-up of a charge and ensures the cell can continue to produce a current.

What are some examples of Voltaric Cells in everyday life?

Some common examples of Voltaric Cells include batteries used in electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops, and remote controls. They are also used in vehicles as car batteries, and in portable power sources such as power banks and flashlights. Additionally, Voltaric Cells are used in medical devices, such as pacemakers, and in renewable energy sources like solar panels and fuel cells.