Solve 2D Momentum Problem: 2000kg Caddy & 1000kg VW

In summary, the problem involves a collision between a 2000 kg Cadillac and a 1000 kg Volkswagen, with the Cadillac heading north at 3.0 m/s and the Volkswagen heading east. After the collision, the cars slid to a halt, leaving skid marks angled 35 degrees north of east. Using the equations for inelastic collisions and trigonometry, it was determined that the initial velocity of the Volkswagen was 8.6 m/s, not 4.2 m/s as originally thought.
planauts

Homework Statement

The stoplight had just changed and a 2000 kg Cadillac had entered the intersection, heading north at 3.0 m/s, when it was struck by a 1000 kg eastbound Volkswagen. The cars struck together and slid to a half, leaving skid marks angled 35 degrees north of east. How fast was the Volkswagen going just before the impact?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically what I did was divided into components.

x: (3)(2000) = (3000)*v_x
y: (v_vw)*(10000) = (3000)*v_y

v_x, v_y is the velocity (after collision) in the x and y direction, respectively, of both cars stuck together (since it is an inelastic collision).
v_vw is the initial velocity of the Volkswagen.

Now what I did was that the angle is 35 degrees north of east. So basically made a triangle and figured that tan(35) = (v_y)/(v_x). This means (v_x)*(tan35) = v_y.

Then, I simplified the component equations to get:
x: 2 = v_x
y: v_vw = 3*v_y

Then plugging in for v_y, I got: v_vw = 3(2)(tan35) = 4.2 m/s as the velocity of the volkswagen.

However, the answer key says 8.6 m/s. Could someone please help me out?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What directions you call x and y?

ehild

Thanks!

I got it now, I should have drawn a reference frame with the axis or maybe I should have used the actual coordinate axis.

tan 35 = (v_x)/(v_y)
(v_y) = (v_x)/tan35

v_vw = 3*v_y = 3*2/tan35 = 6/tan35 = 8.6

Thanks again.

Related to Solve 2D Momentum Problem: 2000kg Caddy & 1000kg VW

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity vector. Mathematically, it can be represented as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change, unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do you solve a 2D momentum problem?

To solve a 2D momentum problem, you would first need to identify the initial and final momenta of the objects involved, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Then, you would use the principle of conservation of momentum to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

5. Can you provide an example of a 2D momentum problem?

Sure, for example: A 2000kg caddy is traveling at 10 m/s east and collides with a 1000kg VW traveling at 5 m/s north. After the collision, the caddy moves at 6 m/s northeast and the VW moves at 2 m/s west. What was the initial velocity of the caddy and the VW before the collision? To solve this, we would use conservation of momentum and set up equations for the x and y components of momentum, and solve for the initial velocities of the objects.