Car collision: decomposing momentum in x- and y-direction

In summary: Car B is 1500 kg, so its mass is 0.15 kg more than car A. When you substitute the values into the equation for pABx, you get:pABx = pABx + (0.15 kg)(7.1 m/s) = 7.15 m/s.In summary, the enmeshed cars moved at an angle of 65° south of east from the point of impact. Car A, with mass 2000 kg, was going from west to east, while car B, with mass 1500 kg, was going from north to south.
andreas_bh

Homework Statement

Two cars collide at an intersection. Car A, with mass 2000 kg, is going from west to east, while car B, with mass 1500 kg, is going from north to south at 15 m/s. As a result of this collision, the two cars become enmeshed and move as one afterward. In your role as an expert witness, you inspect the scene and determine that, after the collision, the enmeshed cars moved at an angle of 65° south of east from the point of impact.

How fast were the enmeshed cars moving just after the collision?

Homework Equations

I use the law of conservation of momentum (p1 = p2 in both the x- and y-direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I try to find the momentum in the x-direction with the equation p1x = p2x.
I insert the values from the problem statement:

x-dir:

2000 kg * vA1x + 1500 kg * 0 m/s = (2000 kg + 1500 kg) * vABx * cos 65°

y-dir:
2000 kg * 0 m/s + 1500 kg * 15 m/s = 3500 kg * vABy * sin 65°
vABy = (1500 kg * 15 m/s) / (3500 kg * sin 65°) = 7.1 m/s

With the value for vABy, I try to find the find the value for the second side and the hypotenuse with trigonometry:
vABx = vABy / sin ∅ = 7.1 m/s / sin 65° = 7.83 m/s.

With the Pythagorean theorem, I can now find the hypotenuse, and the velocity that the two enmeshed cars have:
vAB = √(7.12 + 7.832) = 10.6 m/s.

Looking at the solution, this is clearly not the correct answer. Can anyone see where my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org
andreas_bh said:
vABx = vABy / sin ∅ = 7.1 m/s / sin 65° = 7.83 m/s.

What trig function relates the two right sides?

kuruman said:
What trig function relates the two right sides?
The tangent of the angle? I still don't see how that will get me to the correct answer?

andreas_bh said:
I still don't see how that will get me to the correct answer?
The same way you tried to get to the correct answer before except now you will be using the correct trig function. BTW, what is the correct answer?

kuruman said:
The same way you tried to get to the correct answer before except now you will be using the correct trig function. BTW, what is the correct answer?
Okay, thanks for clarifying that :)

I'm still not getting the correct answer, though. The correct answer, according to the solutions manual, is 7.1 m/s (which is the answer I get for vABy. When the solutions manual decomposes the x-direction, they use the values for car B, which I don't understand (since in my head, car B moves only in the y-direction). They use this equation:
p1x = p2x
(1500 kg)(15 m/s) = (3500 kg)vAB2 * sin 65° ⇒ vAB2 = 7.1 m/s

Why do they use car B when considering the x-direction?

andreas_bh said:
I'm still not getting the correct answer, though. The correct answer, according to the solutions manual, is 7.1 m/s (which is the answer I get for vABy.
So what? Why can't 7.1 m/s be the correct answer? I got 7.09 m/s. The given quantities in web-delivered problems are randomly generated and it so happened that by dumb luck you got a close match here.
andreas_bh said:
Why do they use car B when considering the x-direction?
Momentum conservation in the x-direction will give you the initial speed of car A. You need the mass of car B in the expression for pABx after the collision.

1. What is momentum in a car collision?

Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In a car collision, it is the force with which two objects collide and is conserved during the collision.

2. How is momentum decomposed in the x- and y-directions?

Momentum can be decomposed into its x- and y-components by using the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The x-component is given by the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the cosine of the angle between the direction of motion and the x-axis. The y-component is given by the product of the object's mass, velocity, and the sine of the angle between the direction of motion and the y-axis.

3. Why is it important to decompose momentum in the x- and y-directions in a car collision?

Decomposing momentum in the x- and y-directions allows for a more accurate analysis of the forces involved in a car collision. It helps determine the individual contributions of each direction to the overall momentum and can aid in understanding the trajectory of the objects involved.

4. How is momentum conserved in a car collision?

In a car collision, momentum is conserved according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. What factors can affect the decomposition of momentum in a car collision?

The mass and velocity of the objects, as well as the angle of collision, can affect the decomposition of momentum in a car collision. The type of collision, such as elastic or inelastic, can also impact the decomposition of momentum.