Solve Bragg Diffraction: n(λ)/2sinθ

In summary, the formula for Bragg diffraction of microwaves is 2dsin(theta) = n(lambda). To solve for d, the formula is d = n(lambda)/(2sin(theta)). The angle in the formula is the peak value, and it is possible for the second peak to be the second order of the first. The sample used in the lab was not mentioned.
oldspice1212
Bragg diffraction of microwaves lab.
Hey guys I have a quick question so for bragg diffraction the formula is 2dsin(theta) = n(lambda).
So I have to solve for d, which is d = n(lambda)/(2sin(theta)), but here is the problem: I'm not entirely sure what theta is, as I'm using a graph with 2 peak values, so would theta be just the peak value, and the first peak is n = 1, and peak 2 is n = 2?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Likes oldspice1212
Hey no problem, thanks for checking that means a lot to me.
I figured it out eventually, thank you very much though!

Yes, the angle in the formula will be the peak value.
Regarding the order of the diffraction peak, it is possible that the second peak is the second order of the first. But it is not necessary.
What was your sample?

for your question! In Bragg diffraction, theta represents the angle of incidence of the microwaves on the crystal lattice. It is typically measured from the normal to the crystal surface. In your experiment, you can determine the angle of incidence by measuring the distance between the peak values on your graph and using the known wavelength of the microwaves. Once you have determined the angle, you can plug it into the formula d = n(lambda)/(2sin(theta)) to solve for the spacing between the crystal lattice planes (d). Keep in mind that the peak values on your graph correspond to different values of n, so you will need to use the correct value of n for each peak to calculate the corresponding d value. I hope this helps!

1. What is Bragg Diffraction?

Bragg Diffraction is a phenomenon in which electromagnetic radiation, such as X-rays or electrons, is diffracted by a regular array of atoms or molecules. This occurs when the wavelength of the radiation is on the same scale as the spacing between the atoms or molecules.

2. How does Bragg Diffraction work?

Bragg Diffraction works by the scattering of electromagnetic radiation off of the regular atomic or molecular structure of a crystal. The atoms or molecules act like a diffraction grating, causing the radiation to interfere constructively or destructively, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

3. What is the equation for Bragg Diffraction?

The equation for Bragg Diffraction is n(λ)/2sinθ = d, where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the radiation, θ is the angle of diffraction, and d is the spacing between the atoms or molecules in the crystal. This equation is known as the Bragg's Law.

4. How is Bragg Diffraction used in science?

Bragg Diffraction is used in various scientific fields, such as crystallography, materials science, and medical imaging. It is used to determine the atomic or molecular structure of crystals, as well as to study the properties of materials. In medical imaging, Bragg Diffraction is used to produce high-resolution images of internal structures.

5. What factors affect Bragg Diffraction?

The main factors that affect Bragg Diffraction are the wavelength of the radiation, the angle of incidence, and the spacing between the atoms or molecules in the crystal. Other factors that may influence the diffraction pattern include the crystal structure, the orientation of the crystal, and the intensity of the radiation source.