Determining reaction of indeterminate beam structure

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual has shared their work on solving an indeterminate structure with degree of redundancy 2 and has released support B & C. They have also written compatibility equations and formed formulas to calculate the bending moment on diagrams M0, m1, and m2. After going through a calculation process, the individual has determined the reactions at B and C to be 0.01784 kN and 18.598 kN, respectively. They are seeking feedback on their process and have been advised to double-check their work and seek guidance from others.
thundersword181

Homework Statement

ewmbHA.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As this is an indeterminate structure with degree of redundancy 2, I have released support B & C. I then draw the BMD M0 of the Primary structure as well as BMD m1 and m2 of unit load system acting on B & C as follow:
zM5myh.jpg

I have also written the compatibility equation which I will need to find out the values in order to solve for reactions at B & C.

Next up I forms formula that calculate the bending moment on diagram M0, m1 and m2 with x running from 0 to 12 (left to right), as shown, this is derived using free body diagram to determine moment:

26wTrb.jpg

Here I look to make the formula strictly gives positive value, knowing that when I do product integrals of M0m1 and M0m2 I need to multiply them by -1 due to one BM being in sagging and another being hogging. m1^2, m2^2 and m1m2 should give positive values as both BMD are on the same side.

Next up is my calculation process to determine all the necessary variables that lead to the simultaneous equations to solve for reactions at B & C, as shown at the bottom of the right page:

NaltN7.jpg

This entire process leads to reaction at B being 0.01784 kN and C being 18.598 kN. This result does not make me feel confident at all because I feel the reaction at B is too low even when taking into account the effect of settlement.

Are my process correct? Have I made any mistakes? Please help me out (I have worked on this problem for a week and it is killing me...)

Thank you very much,

Sincerely

Attachments

• ewmbHA.png
    ewmbHA.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,253
  • zM5myh.jpg
    zM5myh.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 26wTrb.jpg
    26wTrb.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 542
  • NaltN7.jpg
    NaltN7.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
,Thank you for your detailed response and for sharing your work with us. Your process seems to be correct and you have accounted for the necessary variables in your calculations. However, I would recommend double-checking your work and equations to ensure accuracy. It is also important to consider any assumptions or simplifications you may have made in your approach.

Additionally, I would suggest seeking guidance from a colleague or professor to review your work and provide feedback. Sometimes, a fresh pair of eyes can catch any errors or offer new insights.

Overall, I commend your effort and dedication in solving this problem. Keep persevering and I am sure you will find the correct solution. Best of luck!

1. How do you determine the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure?

The reactions of an indeterminate beam structure can be determined using the principles of statics and the equations of equilibrium. This involves considering the external forces and moments acting on the beam, as well as the internal forces and moments caused by the structure's own weight and any applied loads. By setting up and solving a system of equations, the reactions at the supports can be determined.

2. What is the difference between a determinate and an indeterminate beam structure?

A determinate beam structure is one in which the reactions at the supports can be determined by using the equations of equilibrium. This means that the number of unknown reactions is equal to the number of available equations. In contrast, an indeterminate beam structure has more unknown reactions than available equations, making it impossible to determine the reactions using equilibrium alone.

3. What is the significance of determining the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure?

Determining the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure is important for understanding the overall stability and behavior of the structure. These reactions can affect the internal forces and stresses within the beam, which can impact the design and safety of the structure. Additionally, knowing the reactions is necessary for determining the deflections and deformations of the beam.

4. What are some methods for determining the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure, including the method of consistent deformations, the slope-deflection method, and the moment distribution method. These methods involve setting up and solving a system of equations, and each has its own advantages and limitations depending on the complexity of the structure.

5. Can computer software be used to determine the reactions of an indeterminate beam structure?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can be used to analyze and determine the reactions of indeterminate beam structures. These programs use numerical methods and algorithms to solve the equations of equilibrium and determine the reactions. However, it is still important for engineers and scientists to have a thorough understanding of the principles and methods involved in order to verify and interpret the results obtained from the software.