Solve Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about the Cauchy-Reimann formula for differentiating a complex function. The speaker is asking how to write it in polar coordinates and expresses difficulty with the chain rule. The other person suggests using the chain rule and encourages them to attempt it and share their solution.
y.moghadamnia
hey, I know this might be abit silly, but u know the cauchy-reimann formula for a complex function to be diffrentiatable? here is a link to what I am talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy-Riemann_equations
my question is: how do I write it in polar coordinates?:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is on the page you linked to, pretty near the end, under "Other Representations."

yeah, I know that. my question is how to change the diffrentiates from respect to x to for example r and theta. I know they might be easy using the chain rules, but I always get so confused on this and thought maybe sb could help me write it

You do use the chain rule. Give it a shot and show us what you come up with.

Related to Solve Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates

1. What are Cauchy-Riemann Equations?

Cauchy-Riemann Equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the conditions for a complex function to be analytic. They are used to determine if a function is differentiable at a given point in the complex plane.

2. How do you solve Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates?

To solve Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates, we first need to rewrite the equations in terms of polar coordinates. This involves converting the complex function into its polar form and then taking the partial derivatives with respect to the polar coordinates. The resulting equations can then be solved using standard techniques for solving partial differential equations.

3. What is the importance of solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates?

Solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates allows us to determine the analyticity of a complex function in a particular region. This is important because analytic functions have many useful properties and are essential in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What are the applications of solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates?

The applications of solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates are vast. They are used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and many other areas of science and engineering. They are also essential in the development of complex analysis and its applications in other fields of mathematics.

5. Are there any challenges in solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates?

Yes, there are some challenges in solving Cauchy-Riemann Equations with Polar Coordinates. One of the main challenges is handling the complex nature of the equations and determining the appropriate boundary conditions. The equations can also become quite complicated and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, care must be taken when converting between Cartesian and polar coordinates to avoid errors in the calculations.