Solve Delta/Wye Transformer Questions - 22kV to 345kV

In summary, the conversation discusses a 22 kV generator being stepped up to 345kV and then transmitted over a 100-mile distance with specified resistance and inductance values. It is then stepped back down to 23kV and has a power of 30MW with a PF of 0.92. The actual voltage at the load can be calculated using the total impedance of the transmission line and the power equation. The PF at the generator is 0.92 and the fraction of generated power lost in delivery is 0.08.
blanik
Can someone point me in the correct direction to solve these...

A 22 kV generator is stepped up to 345kV with a delta-wye transformer. The power is transmitted 100 miles over wires with a resistance ov 18.9mOhms/ft and an inductance of 2.51 microHenries/ft. The transmission is stepped back down with a 345kV to 23kV wye-delta transformer. The is 30MW with a PF of 0.92, lagging.

a. What is the actual voltage at the load?
b. What is the PF at the generator?
c. What fraction of the generated power is lost in delivery.

I have calculated S as P/PF. And I=(W/PF)/(sqrt3xV). Do I calculate V at the load using S=VxI?

Is the PF at the generator 100%?

Is the fraction lost 0.08?

Physics news on Phys.org
a. To calculate the actual voltage at the load, you need to calculate the total impedance of the transmission line, which is given by Z = R + (L*w), where w is the angular frequency of the AC signal. From this, you can calculate the current I = V/Z. Then, you can use the power equation P = V*I*PF to calculate the voltage at the load. b. The PF at the generator is equal to the PF of the load, which is 0.92. c. The fraction of the generated power that is lost in delivery is equal to 1 - (P_load/P_generator). In this case, it is 0.08.

I would advise you to first review the concepts of delta-wye transformers, power transmission, and power factor. It is important to have a thorough understanding of these concepts before attempting to solve the given questions. Once you have a solid understanding, you can approach the problem by using the given information to calculate the voltage at the load, the power factor at the generator, and the fraction of power lost in delivery. To calculate the voltage at the load, you can use the formula S=VxI, where S is the apparent power, V is the voltage, and I is the current. You can also use the formula S=P/PF, where P is the real power and PF is the power factor. To calculate the power factor at the generator, you can use the formula PF=P/S. And to calculate the fraction of power lost in delivery, you can use the formula (1-PF)^2. Remember to convert all units to the appropriate values (e.g. miles to feet) before plugging them into the formulas. Additionally, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given information and formulas. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction to solve these questions.

Related to Solve Delta/Wye Transformer Questions - 22kV to 345kV

1. What is a Delta/Wye transformer and how does it work?

A Delta/Wye transformer is a type of three-phase transformer used in power distribution systems. It consists of three windings, one connected in a delta configuration and the other two connected in a wye configuration. The delta winding carries the load current while the wye windings provide a neutral connection. The transformer works by converting high voltage, low current power from the transmission lines to lower voltage, higher current power for use in homes and businesses.

2. What is the difference between a Delta and Wye connection?

A delta connection is a three-phase connection in which the end of each winding is connected to the start of the next winding in a circular fashion. This results in a closed loop and does not require a neutral connection. A wye connection, on the other hand, has the end of each winding connected to a common point, called the neutral, and each winding is connected to a phase of the power supply. This provides a neutral connection for the system.

3. How do you calculate the voltage and current in a Delta/Wye transformer?

To calculate the voltage and current in a Delta/Wye transformer, you can use the following formulas:
- For the delta winding: Vd = Vt (where Vd is the delta winding voltage and Vt is the transformer voltage)
- For the wye winding: Vw = Vt / √3 (where Vw is the wye winding voltage and Vt is the transformer voltage)
- For the delta winding: Id = It (where Id is the delta winding current and It is the transformer current)
- For the wye winding: Iw = It / √3 (where Iw is the wye winding current and It is the transformer current)
Note: These formulas assume a balanced three-phase system.

4. What is the difference between a 22kV and 345kV transformer?

The difference between a 22kV and 345kV transformer is the voltage level at which they operate. 22kV is considered a medium voltage level and is used for distribution to smaller areas, while 345kV is considered a high voltage level and is used for long-distance transmission of power.

5. How are Delta/Wye transformers used in power systems?

Delta/Wye transformers are used in power systems for voltage transformation, isolation, and phase shifting. They are commonly used in transmission and distribution systems to step down high voltage power to lower voltage levels for use in homes and businesses. They also provide a neutral connection for the system and can help balance the load across the three phases of a power system.