Solve Eigenstates Doubt: Prof. Leonard Susskind's Quantum Mechanics

In summary, Prof. Susskind discusses measuring spin in arbitrary directions in his lecture on Quantum Mechanics. He mentions that when the spin is measured in the +n state, the eigenvalue is +1. However, there is an expression in the form of n_zα+n_−β=α that is not explained. This expression is derived from the eigenvalue equation and represents the two equations for α and β. This can be seen by diagonalizing the matrix ##\vec{n} \cdot \vec{\sigma}##. After clarifying the equation, it becomes clear that the top row of the matrix is responsible for the equation.
Muthumanimaran
I am currently reading Prof.Leonard Susskind's Lecture on Quantum Mechanics. In the Chapter: Spin in the arbitrary directions, in the subdivision Eigenstates
In case $$\lambda=1$$
Prof states that measuring spin in arbitrary +n state gives me +1 as eigenvalue, what I don't understand is the next expression $$n_zα+n_−β=α$$
I have no idea how this expression comes here, please help me. The link to the lecture is given below:
http://www.lecture-notes.co.uk/suss...ments/lecture-4/spin-in-arbitrary-directions/

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two equations for ##\alpha## and ##\beta## given by the eigenvalue equation. This is the one for ##\alpha##. The other is for ##\beta##.

I don't see any obvious mistakes (I've not followed everything thoroughly). All that Suskind in fact does is to diagonalize the matrix ##\vec{n} \cdot \vec{\sigma}##. Where's your specific problem?

Likes bhobba
Paul Colby said:
There are two equations for ##\alpha## and ##\beta## given by the eigenvalue equation. This is the one for ##\alpha##. The other is for ##\beta##.
I don't how that's lead to the expression $$n_zα+n_−β=α$$

##\sigma_n## times the vector ##(\alpha,\beta)## gives the same vector multiplied by 1. The equation follows from the top row of the matrix.

Likes Muthumanimaran
ok, thank you, now I understand how it comes. Initially I misunderstood the Lecture. Its pretty straightforward.

1. What are eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates in quantum mechanics are a set of states that represent the possible outcomes of a measurement for a given physical system. These states are characterized by their unique eigenvalues, which correspond to the measurable quantities of the system.

2. How do eigenstates help solve doubts in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates allow us to determine the possible outcomes of a measurement and their corresponding probabilities. This knowledge helps to reduce uncertainty and address doubts in the predictions of quantum mechanics.

3. What role does Prof. Leonard Susskind play in solving eigenstates doubt?

Prof. Leonard Susskind is a renowned physicist and educator who has made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. He has published numerous papers and books on the subject, and his lectures and teachings have helped many to better understand and apply the concept of eigenstates.

4. Can eigenstates be physically observed?

No, eigenstates cannot be physically observed. They are mathematical representations of the possible outcomes of a measurement and do not have a physical manifestation.

5. How are eigenstates used in real-world applications?

Eigenstates are used in a variety of applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which has implications in fields such as chemistry and materials science.