Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
zoobyshoe said:
It could be that Wendy is blind. She has electricity, but no lights! She forgot her guests would need light after sunset.

Yes that is the correct answer. The detailed answer is below.

Wendy neglected to purchase lamps, working light bulbs, candles, or any type of light sources for her dinner party. When Wendy was in the kitchen making dinner it got dark out. Her guests, sitting or stumbling around in the darkness got uncomfortable and left. Wendy could make dinner and get around her apartment in utter darkness just as well as she could if was well lit. Wendy has total blindness.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice riddle :approve:!

collinsmark said:
Yes that is the correct answer.
I'm surprised no one got it after your comment, "almost there." That's how I knew the lack of lights was majorly significant.

Oy! Doesn't mean no one typed it no one got it. Thank you. :grumpy:

PS. (*__*) <--- this should be enough.

PPS. Disclaimer: rights of solving it is reserved.

Likes Enigman
drizzle said:
Oy! Doesn't mean no one typed it no one got it. Thank you. :grumpy:

PS. (*__*) <--- this should be enough.

PPS. Disclaimer: rights of solving it is reserved.

I published FIRST! I published FIRST!

:rofl::rofl:

Five Easy Pieces from ancient times:

1.)The Statue of Pallas

The following inscription was on the statue of Pallas Athene: ' I, Pallas, am made of beaten gold, the gift of poets. Half was given by Kariseus, an eighth by Thespis; Solon gave a tenth, and Themison a twentieth. The remaining nine talents were the gift of Aristodicus.'
How many talents of gold were there in the statue?

2.)The Mule and the Donkey

According to legend, Euclid was the author of this puzzle. 'A mule and a donkey were carrying a load of sacks. The donkey groaned, so the mule said to him: "Why are you complaining? If you gave me one sack, I would have twice as many as you; and if I gave you one of my sacks, then we would have equal loads." '
How many sacks was each carrying?

3.) The House of Pythagoras

Polykrates the money-lender said to Pythagoras: 'Blessed Pythagoras, scion of the Muses, answer my question. How many scholars dwell in your house?'
Pythagoras replied: 'I will tell thee, Polykrates. Half of the scholars are dedicated to literature; a quarter apply themselves to the study of the wonders of nature; and one-seventh contemplate in silence. There are also three women, of whom the greatest is Theano. That is the number of scholars beneath my roof.
How many scholars were in the house of Pythagoras?

4.) The Graces and the Muse

The three Graces were carrying baskets of apples, in each basket the same number of apples. They met the nine Muses and gave them each the same number of apples, and so the nine Muses and the three Graces had each the same number.
How many apples were in each basket?

5.) Demochares has lived one-forth of his life as a boy, one-fifth as a youth, one-third as a man, and has spent thirteen years in his dotage.
How old is Demochares?

Someone has to calculate this one for me because I've done it twice and the solution given by the book is different than mine:

A merchant visits three markets. At the first he doubles his money and spends 30 ducats. At the second he trebles his money and spends 54 ducats. At the third he increases his money fourfold and spends 72 ducats. If he has 48 ducats left, how much did he have to start with?

x...2x-30...6x-90-54...24x-216-360-72=48
x=29
(Assuming he spends the money after multiplying it in any given market.)
x=2
(Assuming the money is spent in the process of multiplying)

I should sleep.

Thanks. Your answer agrees with the book, so I went over my calculations yet again and found the error.

A balance scale has two weights used for weightings: 0.1 kg weight and 0.4 kg weight.
Use it to divide 18 kg of grain into two bushels of 4 kg and 14 kg.
What is the minimum number of weightings required for the task?

First guess would be two.
Divide the grains into half (9 and 9kgs), take one half and divide it into half again, this gives three parts of grain of 9 kg, 4.5kg, 4.5 kg.
Add the first two (13.5kg). From the last one using two weights (0.1 and 0.4) measure out 0.5 and add it to the previous part, giving 14 and 4 kg bushels.

Yes:)

Enigman said:
First guess would be two.
Divide the grains into half (9 and 9kgs), take one half and divide it into half again, this gives three parts of grain of 9 kg, 4.5kg, 4.5 kg.
Add the first two (13.5kg). From the last one using two weights (0.1 and 0.4) measure out 0.5 and add it to the previous part, giving 14 and 4 kg bushels.
I don't see how you can make the divisions into half without using the balance.

And where's the "spoiler" tag?

zoobyshoe said:
I don't see how you can make the divisions into half without using the balance.

Perspective?: The OP asked for the minimum number of "weightings", and I could read that to mean "using the weights to obtain a value". The balance is a given and doesn't require weights to divide in half...

Hmmm... I seeEm to have read it as minimum number of weights, rather than weighing. The solution still stands though, only the number of weighings is three with number of weights
used as two.

TumblingDice said:
Perspective?: The OP asked for the minimum number of "weightings", and I could read that to mean "using the weights to obtain a value". The balance is a given and doesn't require weights to divide in half...
He could have meant it that way, but I don't think the word "weighting" would have been used correctly if he did.

weight·ing/ˈwādiNG/
noun
  1. allowance or adjustment made in order to take account of special circumstances or compensate for a distorting factor.

The question, if he meant it that way, should have been, "What's the minimum number of times the weights have to be used in dividing the grain into two quantities, one of 4kg and the other of 14kg."

Enigman said:
Hmmm... I seeEm to have read it as minimum number of weights, rather than weighing. The solution still stands though, only the number of weighings is three with number of weights
used as two.
I don't see a spoiler tag in the options now offered above the reply box. Where did you find it?

Also, when I quote your all white posts, there is nothing there unless I highlight it. It's weird.

Click on the "+" icon on the toolbar for the spoiler tag. I colored my post white (half-darkened circle icon) to get people's goat.
Here have yours back:
Animated_animal_billy_goat_blinking_hg_clr.gif

• #1,000
Enigman said:
Click on the "+" icon on the toolbar for the spoiler tag. I colored my post white (half-darkened circle icon) to get people's goat.
Here have yours back:
Animated_animal_billy_goat_blinking_hg_clr.gif
Thank you for my goat back. And for the location of the spoiler tag. I actually didn't realize the goat was missing, though, so you can keep it. I don't want the responsibility.

• #1,001
zoobyshoe said:
He could have meant it that way, but I don't think the word "weighting" would have been used correctly if he did. (... Yah-dee-yah-dee-yah... ) The question, if he meant it that way, should have been, "What's the minimum number of times the weights have to be used in dividing the grain into two quantities, one of 4kg and the other of 14kg."
I make allowances for people who put effort into posting/communicating in English, and make my effort to consider the context.
zoki85 said:
A balance scale has two weights used for weightings: 0.1 kg weight and 0.4 kg weight.
What do you think "weightings" implies here? What are the two weights "used for?"

I have a definition to share, too:

snob (snäb)
noun
One who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste.

• #1,002
zoobyshoe said:
I don't see a spoiler tag in the options now offered above the reply box. Where did you find it?

Also, when I quote your all white posts, there is nothing there unless I highlight it. It's weird.
He's using COLOR=rgb(255, 255, 255), which makes the text pure white. When you highlight the text, it changes to the highlight color.

• #1,003
TumblingDice said:
What do you think "weightings" implies here? What are the two weights "used for?"
By weighting I meant process of determining weight. In this case we use the scale and weights.
20140102-mass-and-weight.jpg

• #1,004
Exactly, Zoki. Thank you for confirming what I read your post to mean. Enigman tweaked up the answer you were looking for, right?

• #1,005
TumblingDice said:
Exactly, Zoki. Thank you for confirming what I read your post to mean. Enigman tweaked up the answer you were looking for, right?
The following solution is pretty much the same:
Divide the 18 kg between the two pans of the scale. Remove the grain from one pan and divide the other pan's 9 kg of grain between two pans. Now we have 4.5 kg on each pan. Remove 0.5 kg from one of the pans by using both the weights on the other side. You now have 4 kg and 14 kg

• #1,006
zoki85 said:
The following solution is pretty much the same:
Divide the 18 kg between the two pans of the scale. Remove the grain from one pan and divide the other pan's 9 kg of grain between two pans. Now we have 4.5 kg on each pan. Remove 0.5 kg from one of the pans by using both the weights on the other side. You now have 4 kg and 14 kg
So, how many "weightings" have you performed here?

• #1,007
zoobyshoe said:
So, how many "weightings" have you performed here?

• #1,008
One more.
Suppose you have four containers: 2, 4, 5, and 9 liters. 9 liters container is full of wine.
Divide the wine into three equal portions in the fewest steps. No spilling!

• #1,009
zoki85 said:
That's what I count as well. So, by "weighting" you meant "weighing," and by that you meant to determine the weight of something using a balance or scale, with or without the use of dedicated, premade weights. Dividing a quantity of something into two equal parts, one side of the balance used to 'weigh' the other, still constitutes a "weighing."

• #1,010
Scrap my previous solution. This is better:

1.) Fill 4 from 9
2.) Fill 2 from 9. This leaves 3 liters in 9.
3.) Pour the 2 liters now in the 2 container into the 5.
4.) Fill 5 to the top from 4. This leaves 1 in the 4 container.
5.) Fill the 2 container from the 5. This leaves 3 in the 5 container.
6.) Pour the two container into the 4 container. The 4 container now has 3.

• #1,011
zoobyshoe said:
Scrap my previous solution. This is better:

1.) Fill 4 from 9
2.) Fill 2 from 9. This leaves 3 liters in 9.
3.) Pour the 2 liters now in the 2 container into the 5.
4.) Fill 5 to the top from 4. This leaves 1 in the 4 container.
5.) Fill the 2 container from the 5. This leaves 3 in the 5 container.
6.) Pour the two container into the 4 container. The 4 container now has 3.
Yes, these are the steps ;)

• #1,012
zoki85 said:
Yes, these are the steps ;)
Thanks!

(I was all the way down at the coffee shop when I realized my first answer had superfluous steps. I rushed back, hoping no one had posted in the meantime.)

Likes Enigman
  • #1,013
I thought this one was hard due to ambiguities that required me to calculate two separate answers. If you don't perceive any ambiguity it might be easy:

Customs Duties

Two wine merchants arrive at the gates of Paris. One has 64 and the other 20 barrels of wine. Since they have not enough money to pay the customs duties, the first pays 40 francs and five barrels of wine, and the second pays 2 barrels of wine but receives 40 francs in change.

What is the value of each barrel of wine, and what is the duty payable on it?

• #1,014
Not sure if there is catch somewhere but
64x=5y+40
20x=2y-40

Value of a barrel = 120 francs
Duty payable on a barrel = 10 francs

• #1,015
zoki85 said:
Not sure if there is catch somewhere but
64x=5y+40
20x=2y-40

Value of a barrel = 120 francs
Duty payable on a barrel = 10 francs
I think this is a perfectly viable answer. There is, however, an alternate answer.