Solve Figure Series Problem #1

In summary, the problem at hand is a pattern recognition problem involving a series of figures with a decreasing number of sides. The first figure has six sides, the second has four sides, and the third has two sides. The fourth figure should have zero sides according to this pattern. While the initial thought was that Choice D was the correct answer, further analysis shows that Choice B, with three sides, is actually the correct answer.
Superkevs22
Hi guys! I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread because this seems to be the closest for the type of question I have. I have been reviewing some Figure Series problems and there is this one problem that got me so confused :confused:

Homework Statement

There are three (3) figures given and you will have to identify from among the given choices which one would be the fourth (4th) figure. This is the link of the figure that I was talking about which is Problem Number One (1).

http://i.imgur.com/X3tfXh1.jpg?1

Homework Equations

Three (3) figures are shown. The first (1st) figure shows an encircled hexagram. The second (2nd) figure shows that the two sides of the top triangle was removed. The third (3rd) figure shows that the two sides of the bottom right triangle was removed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering the second (2nd) and the third (3rd) figure, I was thinking that the fourth (4th) figure should be Choice D with a rationale that the disappearance of the two (2) sides of a triangle was occurring in a clockwise direction and skipping the two (2) sides of the triangle next to it.

However, the answer key which was provided to us had the answer to be Choice B (highlighted yellow in the image link) which cancels out my rationale. :frown:

Please help me clear this out guys :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I can offer some insights into this problem. From what I can see, this is a pattern recognition problem. The first figure shows a hexagram with six sides. In the second figure, two sides are removed, leaving four sides. In the third figure, two more sides are removed, leaving only two sides. This suggests a pattern of removing two sides at a time.

Now, let's look at the fourth figure. Choice D, the option you initially thought was correct, follows this pattern. Two more sides are removed, leaving no sides and a blank space. However, Choice B, the answer key provided, does not follow this pattern. Instead, it shows a figure with three sides.

Based on this, I would say that Choice B is the correct answer. It seems that the pattern is not just about removing two sides at a time, but also about the number of sides remaining. In the first figure, there were six sides, in the second figure there were four sides, and in the third figure there were two sides. So, following this pattern, the fourth figure should have zero sides, which is represented by Choice B.

I hope this helps clear things up for you! It's always important to carefully analyze the given information and look for patterns when solving problems like this. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solve Figure Series Problem #1

1. What is a figure series problem?

A figure series problem is a type of visual puzzle that requires the solver to identify the pattern or rule behind a sequence of figures and then apply it to determine the next figure in the series.

2. How do I solve a figure series problem?

To solve a figure series problem, you should carefully observe the given figures and try to identify any patterns or rules that govern the sequence. Then, apply these patterns or rules to determine the missing figures in the series.

3. What are some common patterns in figure series problems?

Some common patterns in figure series problems include sequential changes in size, shape, color, orientation, or position of the figures. Other patterns may involve mathematical operations or combinations of different patterns.

4. Can figure series problems have more than one correct answer?

No, figure series problems typically have only one correct answer. However, some problems may have multiple solutions that fit the given sequence of figures.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving figure series problems?

You can improve your skills in solving figure series problems by practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with different types of patterns and rules. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use trial and error to test different solutions.