Solve for X as shown in the below sketch

• Thread starter henneh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, the equation can be simplified if the angle is known to be within a certain range. However, it becomes more difficult to solve for the angle when the angle is not within that range.
henneh

Homework Statement

As shown in the attached sketch, derive a non-transcendental equation for the angle, X, given that the parameters A,B, d and R are known variables.

Homework Equations

Basic trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have derived an equation which is a function of X as shown below based on simple trignometry:

B = d + R + Rcos(x) + dcos(x) + (A-d-R)sin(x)

Which can be arranged into a (somewhat) easier format:

(R+d)cos(x) + (A-d-R)sin(x) = B - d - R

However I cannot simplify this expression any further. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it! I hope I have been clear in showing the problem geometry, any ambiguities please let me know. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
Every sum of A*cos(x)+B*sin(x) can be combined to a single function like C*sin(x+D). Those identities help to calculate C and D.

henneh said:

Homework Statement

As shown in the attached sketch, derive a non-transcendental equation for the angle, X, given that the parameters A,B, d and R are known variables.

Homework Equations

Basic trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have derived an equation which is a function of X as shown below based on simple trigonometry:

B = d + R + Rcos(x) + dcos(x) + (A-d-R)sin(x)

Which can be arranged into a (somewhat) easier format:

(R+d)cos(x) + (A-d-R)sin(x) = B - d - R

However I cannot simplify this expression any further. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it! I hope I have been clear in showing the problem geometry, any ambiguities please let me know. Thank you so much.
Look at the "Linear Combination" section of "List of trigonometric identities" in Wikipedia by using the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Linear_combinations

Essentially, ##\displaystyle A\sin x+B\cos x=\sqrt{A^2+B^{\,2}}\cdot\sin(x+\varphi) ##

where ##\displaystyle\ \varphi = \arctan \left(\frac{B}{A}\right) + \begin{cases}
0 & \text{if , }A \ge 0, \\
\pi & \text{if , }A \lt 0,
\end{cases}##

(I see mfb beat me to it !)

Thanks guys for the help! : )

Related to Solve for X as shown in the below sketch

What is the meaning of "solve for X"?

"Solve for X" means to find the value of the variable (represented by X) in an equation or problem. It is a common mathematical phrase used to indicate that the goal is to find the unknown value of X.

Why is solving for X important?

Solving for X allows us to find the solution to a problem or equation. It is a fundamental skill in mathematics and is used in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

How do you solve for X?

The process of solving for X depends on the specific problem or equation. In general, you must use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable X on one side of the equation and solve for its value. This can involve simplifying, factoring, or using inverse operations.

What are some common strategies for solving for X?

Some common strategies for solving for X include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and cross-multiplying. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

Can you solve for X in any equation?

Yes, as long as the equation has an unknown variable, it is possible to solve for X. However, some equations may require advanced mathematical techniques and may not have a simple solution.