Solve Gravitational Interferometer & Geodesics

In summary, the author solved an equation for light geodesics and then found a light ray that traveled from (0,0,0) to (L,0,0). He then asked if there were other light rays that could travel from (0,0,0) to (L,0,0).
Salah93
I was trying to solve this excercise:

D1rhS.png

Now I was able to find the eq. of geodetics (or directly by Christoffel formulas calculation or by the Lagrangian for a point particle). And I verified that such space constant coordinate point is a geodetic.

Now, for the second point I considered$$ds^2=0$$

to isolate the$$dt$$ and find the time difference between the two routes. But I don't know how to solve for a generic path of a light ray. So I considered that maybe the text wants a light ray traveling along x-axis and the second along y axis.

I checked in other sources and all people make the same, by considering a light ray along x-axis and then setting$$dy=dz=0$$

But when I substitute these in my geodesic equations it turns out that they are not true even at first order in A! So these people that consider a light ray traveling along x-axis, such as in an interferometer, are not considering a light geodesic. All of this if and only if my calculations are true.

So I know that if$$ds^2=0$$
I have a light geodesic. And so it should solve my eq. of geodesics. But if I restrain my motion on x-axis what I can say is that the$$ds^2=0$$
condition now is on a submanifold of my manifold. So, the light wave that I consider doesn't not move on a geodesic of the original manifold but on one of the x axis. This is the only thing that came in my mind.

Is there any way to say that I can set

$$dy=dz=0$$
without worring? And if I can't set it how can I solve the second point?

I want also to ask is there other geodesics that go from the 3d point (0,0,0) to (L,0,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm working beyond my knowledge here (very much a beginner), but if you put ##dy=0## and ##dz=0## into the above, you still have ##ds^2 = - dt^2 + (1+ A cos( k(z+t))dx^2## and if ##ds^2 = 0## for light, you get a relationship between ##dt## and ##dx##.

To the admins, I hope that doesn't constitute too much of an answer, I'm hoping to test my own rudimentary knowledge too. I've deliberately left out the final step I think.

Likes Dale
I solved the excercise and made all the necessary calculations and obtained the correct results. What I asking is a more theoretical question, to justify what I did. If the question is not formulated well please tell me.

Salah93 said:
What I asking is a more theoretical question, to justify what I did.

You will need to show more of your work. In particular you should show explicitly what you did here:

Salah93 said:
when I substitute these in my geodesic equations it turns out that they are not true even at first order in A!

Ok, I write the equations that I obtain(one can use action variation with an affine parameter, or EL eq. with affine parameter or use directly geodesic eqs with affine parameter by first calculating Christoffel symbols):

$$\ddot{t}=\frac{Ak}{2}sin(k(z+t)) (\dot{x}^2-\dot{y}^2)$$

$$\ddot{t}=\frac{Ak \sin(k(z+t))}{1+Acos(k(z+t))} (\dot{z}+\dot{t})\dot{x}$$

$$\ddot{y}=-\frac{Ak \sin(k(z+t))}{1-Acos(k(z+t))} (\dot{z}+\dot{t})\dot{y}$$

$$\ddot{z}=-\frac{Ak}{2}sin(k(z+t)) (\dot{x}^2-\dot{y}^2)$$Now these eqs define a geodesic.

I know that taking $$ds^2=0$$ this defines a light geodesic(and I can use any monotone function to parametrize it). Now I can set freely $$dy=dz=0$$ and take a light ray that travels along x-axis form (0,0,0) to (L,0,0) and then obtain the result of the second point for this particular light ray.

My questions are:
1) if I substitute $$dy=dz=0$$ I correctly have the eq. for $$\ddot{y}$$ zero. But the ones for $$\ddot{t}$$, $$\ddot{x}$$ , $$\ddot{z}$$ are not zero(if I made calculations well). So or I made wrong calculations or I can't use these equations for the light ray.

2)I saw that all the books ,ex. Schultz for RG, that treat interference for light rays take directly I ray that travels along x or y-axis (with a gravitational wave propagating in the z direction). Now are there other light rays that can go from (0,0,0) to (L,0,0)?

I hope I posted better the question. Thank you

1. How does a gravitational interferometer work?

A gravitational interferometer is a scientific instrument that uses the interference of light waves to detect changes in the gravitational field. It works by splitting a laser beam into two perpendicular paths, which are then recombined to create an interference pattern. Any changes in the gravitational field will cause the paths of the laser beams to shift, resulting in a change in the interference pattern.

2. What is the purpose of a gravitational interferometer?

The main purpose of a gravitational interferometer is to detect and measure tiny changes in the gravitational field. This can be useful in studying gravitational waves, testing theories of gravity, and measuring the effects of large celestial bodies on the surrounding space-time fabric.

3. How are geodesics used in gravitational interferometry?

Geodesics are the paths that objects naturally follow in the presence of gravity. In gravitational interferometry, geodesics are used as reference points to measure the changes in the gravitational field. By analyzing the interference pattern, scientists can calculate the curvature of space-time and determine the presence of gravitational waves.

4. What are the limitations of a gravitational interferometer?

One of the main limitations of a gravitational interferometer is its sensitivity. It can only detect small changes in the gravitational field, and even then, it requires a very controlled and stable environment to function accurately. Additionally, gravitational interferometers are expensive and complex instruments, making them difficult to build and maintain.

5. How does gravitational interferometry contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Gravitational interferometry has played a crucial role in confirming the existence of gravitational waves, which were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. By detecting and studying these waves, scientists can learn more about the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe. Additionally, gravitational interferometry can also help us better understand the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as black holes.