Solve H(T) at 1 MeV: Cosmology

In summary, during the radiation era, the expansion rate of the universe can be calculated using the formula H^2 = 4π^3G/45 g∗*T^4, where g∗ is the effective number of relativistic degrees of freedom. This expansion rate is important to consider when calculating the age of the universe during this era, as it is equal to 1/(2H). When g∗ = 43/4, the expansion rate is 1.48 (MeV/T^2) sec and the age of the universe is 0.74 (MeV/T^2) sec.
Labboi
Homework Statement
Find H(T)
Relevant Equations
H^2 = 8πG/3 *ρR = 4π^3G/ 45 g∗*T^4
Here's the problem:

It is more common to define the “effective number of relativistic degrees of freedom” by writing the total radiation energy as ρR = ργ + ρν + ρe± = (π^2/30) g∗*T^4 , where g∗ = 2 + 7/8(6 + 4) = 43/4 . (1.52) With this, the expansion rate during the radiation era is given by H^2 = 8πG/3 *ρR = 4π^3G/ 45 g∗*T^4. Therefore, when we calculate the expansion rate during the radiation era, we must be careful about how many relativistic degrees of freedom we have in the universe at a given time. For g∗ = 43/4, we obtain 1/H(T) = 1.48 1 (MeV/T^2) sec. (1.54) As the age of the universe during the radiation era is t = 1/(2H), we also have t = 1 2H(T) = 0.74 1 MeV T 2 sec

I don't see how he get's the 1.48. I'm trying to solve H(T) at 1 MeV. But I can't seem to get the right number. When I plug in the numbers I get 5.44.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Labboi said:
I don't see how he get's the 1.48.

Who or what is "he"? Please give the reference from which this is taken.

Labboi said:
When I plug in the numbers I get 5.44.

Please show your work.

1. What is H(T) in cosmology?

H(T) in cosmology refers to the Hubble parameter, which represents the rate at which the universe is expanding at a given time. It is a crucial factor in understanding the evolution and dynamics of the universe.

2. How is H(T) calculated at 1 MeV?

H(T) at 1 MeV is typically calculated using the Friedmann equation, which relates the Hubble parameter to the energy density and pressure of the universe. The specific calculation may vary depending on the cosmological model being used.

3. Why is 1 MeV a significant energy level in cosmology?

1 MeV (megaelectronvolt) is a significant energy level in cosmology because it corresponds to the energy scale of the early universe, specifically during the epoch of nucleosynthesis. This is when the first elements were formed and the universe underwent rapid expansion.

4. How does H(T) at 1 MeV affect the evolution of the universe?

H(T) at 1 MeV plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe. It determines the rate at which the universe is expanding, which in turn affects the age, size, and density of the universe. It also influences the formation of structures such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

5. Can H(T) at 1 MeV change over time?

Yes, H(T) at 1 MeV can change over time as the universe evolves. In fact, it is expected to decrease over time as the universe expands and the energy density decreases. This is known as the Hubble constant, and its value is currently a topic of ongoing research in cosmology.