Time since hot big bang - relativistic species

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard assumptions of three species of massless neutrinos and the dominance of black-body radiation, photons, electron-positron pairs, and neutrinos in the density of the universe at temperatures between 1MeV and 100MeV. The Friedmann equation for a flat radiation-dominated universe is used to show that the time since the start of the hot big bang can be expressed as ##t(T) = (\frac{A}{g_∗})^{1/2} \frac{M_P}{T^2}## for temperatures above 1MeV, where ##M_P## is the reduced Planck mass and A is a constant. The attempt at a solution involves substituting the
BOAS

Homework Statement

According to the standard assumptions, there are three species of (massless) neutrinos. In the temperature range of 1MeV < T < 100MeV, the density of the universe is believed to have been dominated by the black-body radiation of photons, electron-positron pairs, and three neutrinos all of which were in thermal equilibrium.

1. Neglecting any change in the degrees of freedom at T > 100MeV, show using the Friedmann equation for a flat radiation-dominated universe ##H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3} \rho_R## that for temperatures T > 1MeV the time since the start of the hot big bang is given by ##t(T) = (\frac{A}{g_∗})^{1/2} \frac{M_P}{T^2}## where ##M_P## is the reduced Planck mass, and A is a constant that you should give explicitly.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have found an expression for ##t(T)## but have a factor of ##ln(a)## spoiling my constant ##A## and I don't know how I can get rid of it.

Starting with the Friedmann equation:

##H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3} \rho_R##

I know that the energy density for several relativistic species in thermal equilibrium is given by ##\rho_R = \sum_i \rho_i = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* T^4_{\gamma}##, where ##g_*## is the effective degrees of freedom.

Substituting this into the Friedmann equation yields

##H^2 = \frac{8\pi G}{3} \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* T^4_{\gamma}##

I take the square root and use the definition of the Hubble parameter

##\frac{da}{dt} \frac{1}{a} = \sqrt{\frac{8\pi G}{3} \frac{g_*}{30}} \pi T_{\gamma}^2##

Simply integrating this causes the following problem

##t = \frac{ln(a)}{\pi T^2_{\gamma}} \sqrt{\frac{3}{8 \pi G} \frac{30}{g_*}}##

which we can write as

##t = ln(a) \sqrt{\frac{90}{\hbar c g_* \pi^2}} \frac{M_P}{T^2_{\gamma}}##

However, I can't write that in the form I'm asked to, since ln(a) is not a constant.

I think I have made an error by integrating the equation in the way that I did, but I don't know how to go about this.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have a solution, but it depends on the photons obeying ##T = T_0(1 + z)##

I say that ##da = d(1+z)^{-1} = d(T_0 / T) = - T_0 T^{-2} dT##

then ##da/a = -T^{-1} dT##

substituting this into my expression ##\frac{da}{dt} \frac{1}{a} = \sqrt{\frac{8\pi G}{3} \frac{g_*}{30}} \pi T_{\gamma}^2##,

I find that ##t(T) = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{90}{\hbar c \pi^2 g_*}} \frac{M_P}{T^2}##

Related to Time since hot big bang - relativistic species

1. What is the hot big bang theory and how does it relate to time?

The hot big bang theory is a cosmological model that explains the origins of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as an extremely hot and dense state, expanding and cooling over time. The concept of time is crucial to this theory as it describes the evolution of the universe from the initial hot and dense state to its current state.

2. How long has it been since the hot big bang occurred?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years. This is the amount of time that has passed since the hot big bang, which is believed to have occurred at the beginning of the universe.

3. What are relativistic species and why are they important in understanding the evolution of the universe?

Relativistic species are particles that travel at speeds close to the speed of light and are affected by the theory of relativity. In the context of the hot big bang theory, these species play a crucial role in determining the rate of expansion and cooling of the universe. They also contribute to the overall energy density of the universe and influence its evolution.

4. How does time behave in the early stages of the hot big bang?

In the early stages of the hot big bang, time is thought to have behaved differently than it does now. It is believed that time was highly compressed and possibly even had a beginning point at the moment of the hot big bang. As the universe expanded and cooled, time evolved into the linear concept that we understand today.

5. Can we observe the effects of time since the hot big bang?

Yes, we can observe the effects of time since the hot big bang through various astronomical and cosmological observations. These include the expansion of the universe, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of different elements in the universe. These observations provide evidence for the hot big bang theory and the role of time in the evolution of the universe.