Solve Heat Transfer Homework: Find Constant K in kW/min

In summary, the problem involves a closed tank containing 1 kg of Refrigerant 22 at initial conditions of p1=0.9 MPa and u1=232.92 kJ/kg. A paddle wheel adds energy to the refrigerant at a constant rate of 0.1 kW. Heat transfer occurs at a rate Kt, where K is a constant and t is time, and after 20 minutes the refrigerant reaches p2=1.2 MPa and u2=276.7 kJ/kg. The constant K can be found using the equation K=(-2Q)/(t2), where Q is the heat transfer.
jdawg

Homework Statement

One kg of Refrigerant 22 initially at p1=0.9 MPa, u1=232.92 kJ/kg, is contained within a rigid closd tank. The tank is fitted with a paddle wheel that transfers energy to the refrigerant at a constant rate of 0.1kW. Heat transfer from the refrigerant to its surroundings occurs at a rate Kt, in kW, where K is a constant, in kW per minute, and t is time, in minutes. After 20 minutes of stirring, the refrigerant is at p2=1.2MPa. u2=276.7kJ/kg. Neglect kinetic and potential energy. Determine the value of the constant K appearing in the given heat transfer relation in kW/min.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already found the work to be W= -120 kJ and the heat to be Q= -76.25 kJ

What I'm struggling with is how to find the constant K.
Bounds are from 0 to 20 minutes.
Q=∫ Qdt
=∫-Kt dt
=-kt2/2

And now I'm stuck, I'm not sure what to do at this point.
The next step shows K=(-2Q)/(t2) I have no idea how they got this.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
Q=∫ Qdt
=∫-Kt dt
=-kt2/2

And now I'm stuck, I'm not sure what to do at this point.
The next step shows K=(-2Q)/(t2) I have no idea how they got this.
It looks like just a rearrangement of your last equation, no?

Likes jdawg
Haha oh my god, thanks! I forgot it was equal to Q :P

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the process of transferring thermal energy from one location to another. It is important because it is essential for maintaining a comfortable environment, powering various technologies, and sustaining life on Earth.

2. How is the constant K measured in kW/min for heat transfer problems?

The constant K, also known as the thermal conductivity, is measured in kW/min by using a heat flux meter to measure the rate of heat transfer per unit area and the temperature gradient. The unit of kW/min indicates the amount of heat energy transferred per minute.

3. What factors affect the value of constant K in a heat transfer problem?

The value of constant K is affected by the material's thermal properties, such as density, specific heat, and thermal conductivity. It is also influenced by the temperature difference between the two locations and the geometry of the system.

4. How can I solve for the constant K in a heat transfer problem?

To solve for the constant K in a heat transfer problem, you need to know the rate of heat transfer, the temperature difference, and the dimensions of the system. Then, you can use the equation K = (Q/t)/(AΔT) to calculate the constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of heat transfer and finding the constant K?

Heat transfer and finding the constant K are important in various industries and technologies, such as HVAC systems, power generation, refrigeration, and cooking. They are also used in designing efficient insulation materials and understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns.