Solve Influenza A Virus Problem: 1368350 Viruses

• Thread starter lalahelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, the influenza A virus is a spherical virus with a diameter of 85 nm that can be found in saliva. If 10^-9 of the volume of saliva coughed onto a person consists of viral particles, this means that approximately 1.4 million influenza viruses have landed on that person. However, there may have been an error in the calculation of converting cubic centimeters to nanometers, which should be done by first converting to cubic meters and then to cubic nanometers.
lalahelp

Homework Statement

A typical virus is a packet of protein and DNA (or RNA) and can be spherical in shape. The influenza A virus is a spherical virus that has a diameter of 85 nm. If the volume of saliva coughed onto you by your friend with the flu is 0.044 cm3 and 10−9 of that volume consists of viral particles, how many influenza viruses have just landed on you?

Homework Equations

V=4/3(pi)(r^3)

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume Influenza A = 4/3(pi)(42.5^3) = 321555 nm
4.4e^11/ 321555= 1368350 viruses landed

What did I do wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Why 4.4x1011?

Isnt that the conversion of .044 Cm^3 to nanometers?

That's what you intended it to be, but seems to me like you made an error in calculations.

I can be wrong, it happened before. But show how you got 1011.

I got it by multiplying .044*10^-9

You're trying to change 0.044 cm^3 to nm^3. It's more complicated than just converting 0.044cm to nm

Dont I have to multiply the -9 by 3 since its cubed
so It will be .044*10^-27

Correct?

lalahelp said:
Dont I have to multiply the -9 by 3 since its cubed
so It will be .044*10^-27

Correct?

Better, but still off. That would work for conversion of cubic meter to cubic nanometers, but you are converting cubic centimeters.

Convert cm3 to m3, then m3 to nm3, that's the safest way (and half of that you already did)

ok thank you!

1. What is Influenza A Virus?

Influenza A virus is a highly contagious respiratory illness that can affect humans, birds, and other animals. It is responsible for causing seasonal flu outbreaks and occasional pandemics.

2. How many viruses are in the Influenza A Virus Problem?

The specific number of viruses in the Influenza A Virus Problem is 1368350. This number represents the total number of viruses that have been identified and sequenced by scientists.

3. How do scientists solve the Influenza A Virus Problem?

Scientists solve the Influenza A Virus Problem by conducting research and experiments to better understand the virus and develop effective treatments and prevention methods. This may involve studying the virus's structure, genetic makeup, and behavior, as well as testing different vaccines and medications.

4. Can the Influenza A Virus Problem be completely solved?

While scientists have made significant progress in understanding and combating the Influenza A virus, it is unlikely that the problem will ever be completely solved. This is because the virus can mutate and evolve, making it difficult to develop a one-time solution.

5. How can individuals protect themselves from the Influenza A Virus Problem?

The best way to protect oneself from the Influenza A virus is to receive an annual flu vaccine. Other preventative measures include practicing good hygiene, such as washing hands frequently, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and staying home when feeling ill.