Solving a Spirit-in-Glass Thermometer Problem

• Thread starter Abid Rizvi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermometer
In summary, the "spirit-in-glass thermometer" was invented in Florence, Italy in 1654 and consists of a tube of liquid with submerged glass spheres of varying masses. At low temperatures, all spheres float, but as the temperature rises, they sink one by one. When filled with ethyl alcohol, the density at 20.0°C is 0.78945 g/cm3 and decreases to 0.78097 g/cm3 at 30.0°C. The mass of a sphere with a radius of 1.400 cm and in equilibrium at 20.0°C is 9.07 grams, and for a second sphere to be in equilibrium at 30.0°C, it must have a mass
Abid Rizvi

Homework Statement

The "spirit-in-glass thermometer", invented in Florence, Italy, around 1654, consists of a tube of liquid (the spirit) containing a number of submerged glass spheres with slightly different masses (see the figure below). At sufficiently low temperatures all the spheres float, but as the temperature rises, the spheres sink one after the other. The device is a crude but interesting tool for measuring temperature. Suppose that the tube is filled with ethyl alcohol, whose density is 0.78945 g/cm3 at 20.0° and decreases to 0.78097 g/cm3 at 30.0°C.

If one of the spheres has a radius of 1.400 cm and is in equilibrium halfway up the tube at 20.0°C, determine its mass?

When the temperature increases to 30.0°C, what mass must a second sphere of the same radius have in order to be in equilibrium at the halfway point?

At 30.0°C the first sphere has fallen to the bottom of the tube. What upward force does the bottom of the tube exert on this sphere

Homework Equations

buoyant force = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

So I go the first 2 correct.

For the first one I had: M_sphere*g = p_alcohol_at_20 * g * 4/3 pi r^3
solving for M_sphere, I got 9.07 grams

For the second one I had M_sphere2*g = p_alcohol_at_30 * g * 4/3 pi r^3
solving for M_sphere2, I got 8.98 grams

For the last part, I set up this equation:
buoyant force + normal force = mg_sphere
p_alcohol_at_30*V_sphere*g + N = M_sphere*g
But this equation has 2 unknowns, N (the normal force) and p_sphere, the spheres density. I'm not even a 100% sure if 1.4cm is the radius of this sphere so I may not even know the volume meaning 3 unknowns... What am I missing?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
With 'first sphere', they mean the one for which you calculated the mass of 9.07 grams. You also have the volume for it.

No reason to expect that. And no need:
Just write a force balance for the sphere on the bottom.

Ok. I was referring to the problem where it sat halfway up in the liquid.
Abid did set a force equation up for the last problem though.

Ok guys after some experimentation I found what was wrong. When I found the force, I found my units had grams, and the answer wanted Newtons which has kilograms... :rolleyes: So I set up the force equation and then divided the result by 1000 and the answer worked. Thank you guys!

1. How do I solve a spirit-in-glass thermometer problem?

To solve a spirit-in-glass thermometer problem, you first need to identify the issue. This could be a broken thermometer, inaccurate readings, or a malfunctioning thermometer. Once you have identified the problem, you can then troubleshoot and determine the best course of action to fix it.

2. What are some common issues with spirit-in-glass thermometers?

Some common issues with spirit-in-glass thermometers include cracked or broken glass, air bubbles in the spirit, and inaccurate readings due to temperature fluctuations. These issues can be caused by mishandling, exposure to extreme temperatures, or manufacturing defects.

3. How can I fix a broken spirit-in-glass thermometer?

If the glass on your thermometer is broken, it cannot be repaired and must be replaced. However, if the thermometer is still functioning properly, you can place the broken thermometer in a sealable plastic bag and then dispose of it properly. It is important to handle broken thermometers with caution as the spirit inside can be toxic.

4. How can I prevent inaccurate readings with my spirit-in-glass thermometer?

To prevent inaccurate readings, it is important to properly calibrate your thermometer regularly. This can be done by comparing it to a known accurate thermometer or using a calibration device. Additionally, avoid exposing the thermometer to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight, as this can affect its accuracy.

5. What should I do if my spirit-in-glass thermometer is not working?

If your spirit-in-glass thermometer is not working, try troubleshooting by checking for any visible damage or debris inside the thermometer. You can also try calibrating the thermometer to see if that improves its accuracy. If the issue persists, it may be time to replace the thermometer with a new one.