Solve Isothermal Expansion: Find v2 Given P1, P2 & v1

In summary: It appears that the temperature is negative because the system is undergoing an isobaric compression.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Let P2 = 10^6 N/m^2, P1 = 4X10^5 N/m^2 and v = 2.5m^3/kmole Find the specific volume v2.

Homework Equations

Isothermal process, ideal gas. There is also a picture but it's just a generic P = constant/V plot.

The Attempt at a Solution

The volume given is the specific volume, so when using the ideal gas law I have to convert from kmoles to moles and make sure I have my n value in the correct place.
I've tried to use the first law of thermodynamics:
d'U = d'Q + d'W
d'U - d'W = d'Q
PdV = Q = nRTdV/V
I get stuck here because once I take the integral I get the v I am looking for, but I don't know what goes on the other side of the equal sign. I don't have a specific heat or an identity for this ideal gas and I'm not sure what to do with the Q.

I've also tried using the ideal gas law P1V1/n = P2V2/n
But I keep getting values of v2 that are smaller than v1

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use the first law to solve this problem. The ideal gas law is the way to go. Why do you feel that getting values of v2 that are smaller than v1 is incorrect?

Chestermiller said:
You can't use the first law to solve this problem. The ideal gas law is the way to go. Why do you feel that getting values of v2 that are smaller than v1 is incorrect?
Mostly that when I use then in the next part of the problem I get a negative temperature in kelvin.

rmiller70015 said:
Mostly that when I use then in the next part of the problem I get a negative temperature in kelvin.
The system is isothermal, which you already accounted for with the ideal gas law. So how could the temperature come out negative?

Chestermiller said:
The system is isothermal, which you already accounted for with the ideal gas law. So how could the temperature come out negative?
Well I didn't include thus because it wasn't part of this part of the problem. The isotherm has a box drawn around it to represent a cyclic process. An isobaric expansion, an isobaric compression, an isochoric increase in pressure and an isochoric decrease in pressure. I'm looking at the isobaric expansion portion

rmiller70015 said:
Well I didn't include thus because it wasn't part of this part of the problem. The isotherm has a box drawn around it to represent a cyclic process. An isobaric expansion, an isobaric compression, an isochoric increase in pressure and an isochoric decrease in pressure. I'm looking at the isobaric expansion portion
Well then, all I can say is that the answer to the problem that you posed is 1.0 m^3. This is obviously a compression rather than an expansion.

What is an isothermal expansion?

An isothermal expansion is a process in which a gas expands at a constant temperature. This means that the gas's internal energy remains constant during the expansion, resulting in a change in volume and pressure.

What is the equation for solving isothermal expansion?

The equation for solving isothermal expansion is: v2 = v1 * (P1/P2), where v2 is the final volume, v1 is the initial volume, P1 is the initial pressure, and P2 is the final pressure.

Can isothermal expansion be applied to all gases?

No, isothermal expansion only applies to ideal gases, which follow the ideal gas law at all times. Real gases may exhibit deviations from the ideal gas law during an isothermal expansion.

What is the significance of solving isothermal expansion?

Solving isothermal expansion allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases under constant temperature conditions. This is important in various fields, such as thermodynamics and engineering, to understand and design systems that involve gas expansion.

Are there any limitations to using the isothermal expansion equation?

Yes, the isothermal expansion equation assumes that the expansion process is reversible, and that the gas is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. These assumptions may not always hold true in real-world scenarios, leading to potential errors in using the equation.