Solve Kinematic Problems with Graphs?

In summary, the speaker is wondering if it is possible to solve all one dimensional motion problems by graphing instead of using kinematic equations. They struggle with problems where acceleration changes over time and believe that graphing could be a more efficient method. However, they are unsure of how to handle situations where acceleration is not a simple function of time and are considering using integration to solve these types of problems.
anthonybommarito1
so this is just a general question but is it possible to solve all one dimensional motion problems by making graphs, i feel like if that's the case I wouldn't need to use the kinematic equations. I usually get caught up on problems where acceleration changes over time and I have to do calculations relative to a certain interval of time, but if I was able to just graph the problems I feel like I could be able to find what I needed by taking slopes and areas under curves? So my question is would I be able to solve kinematic word problems just by constructing graphs of the things I was given in the problem?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anthonybommarito1 said:
so this is just a general question but is it possible to solve all one dimensional motion problems by making graphs, i feel like if that's the case I wouldn't need to use the kinematic equations. I usually get caught up on problems where acceleration changes over time and I have to do calculations relative to a certain interval of time, but if I was able to just graph the problems I feel like I could be able to find what I needed by taking slopes and areas under curves? So my question is would I be able to solve kinematic word problems just by constructing graphs of the things I was given in the problem?!
How are you going to solve for the area under a curve? There's a way to do it using your proposal, but it's not pretty... :smile:

Likes 2nafish117
berkeman said:
How are you going to solve for the area under a curve? There's a way to do it using your proposal, but it's not pretty... :smile:
Well I could try to get some function of t using my initial conditions and integrate it... But I'm honestly not too sure... I was just making up example problems to test solving by graphing and it didn't work out as easily as I thought or wished it had :(

anthonybommarito1 said:
problems where acceleration changes over time
When acceleration changes over time, you would generally need to use integral calculus to solve the problems, IMO.

berkeman said:
When acceleration changes over time, you would generally need to use integral calculus to solve the problems, IMO.
Quick question what would I do if something acceleration is changing oVer time, like in a certain interval it's 3m/s^2 then for 6 seconds it's zero and then the next x about of seconds it's a negative value... How would I go about finding like a total velocity... Questions of this manner make me thinking using the graph method is the best because you arnt given a function of t to integrate as you would in a calc course... Could I like derive an acceleration function to integrate?

anthonybommarito1 said:
Quick question what would I do if something acceleration is changing oVer time, like in a certain interval it's 3m/s^2 then for 6 seconds it's zero and then the next x about of seconds it's a negative value... How would I go about finding like a total velocity... Questions of this manner make me thinking using the graph method is the best because you arnt given a function of t to integrate as you would in a calc course... Could I like derive an acceleration function to integrate?
To have any hope of getting an answer you must be told how acceleration varies as a function of time. It need not be one simple equation, but enough information that you can determine what the acceleration is at each instant.
If the acceleration is a step function or linear on each of the time intervals then you can get the answer by graphing. But you can also get the answer by writing an integral for each such interval. And if the function of time is anything more complicated over some intervals then you will have to use integration for those.

What is the purpose of using graphs to solve kinematic problems?

Graphs allow us to visually represent the motion of an object over time, making it easier to analyze and understand complex kinematic problems.

What information is needed to create a kinematic graph?

To create a kinematic graph, we need to know the position, velocity, and time data of the object in motion. This can be obtained from experimental data or given in the problem.

How do you interpret the slope of a position-time graph?

The slope of a position-time graph represents the velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity.

What does the area under a velocity-time graph represent?

The area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement of the object. A positive area indicates a positive displacement, while a negative area indicates a negative displacement.

How can you use kinematic graphs to solve for unknown variables?

By analyzing the shape and slope of a kinematic graph, we can determine the values of unknown variables such as acceleration, initial velocity, and displacement. We can also use the equations of motion to solve for these unknowns using the information provided on the graph.