Solve Linear Inequality: ABS Value(7x-8) <=4x+7

In summary: So in summary, the solution set for |7x-8| ≤ 4x+7 would be 1/11 ≤ x ≤ 8/7. It is important to be careful when finding the solution set and to take the union of the two sets instead of combining the two inequalities.
CanaBra
Linear inequalities!

I need help solving the following inequality:
ABS value(7x-8) <=4x+7

+/-(7x-8) <=4x+7
7x-8 <=4x+7 -(7x-8) <=4x+7
7x-8-4x <=4x+7-4x -7x+8 <=4x+7
3x-8<=7 -7x+8-4x <=4x+7-4x
3x-8+8<=7+8 -7x-4x+8<=7
3x/3 >= 15 -11x+8<=7-8
x>=5 -11x/-11 >= -1/-11
x>=1/11

Can anyone tell me if this is right?
Also, I don't understand how to write the solution set.
Is this right? 1/11>=x>=5?
Help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hmm, my answer has reversed inequalities.

|7x-8| ≤ 4x+7

7x-8 ≤ 4x+7
3x ≤ 15
x ≤ 5

-(7x-8) ≤ 4x+7
-7x+8 ≤ 4x+7
1 ≤ 11x
1/11 ≤ x

So combining the two inequalities:

1/11 ≤ x ≤ 5

EDIT: Your routine to find x >= 1/11 is fine; however, you reversed an inequality in finding x <= 5 when dividing by 3. The inequality will only be reversed if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

Last edited:

Thank you very much, I understand now.

pbandjay said:
Hmm, my answer has reversed inequalities.

|7x-8| ≤ 4x+7

7x-8 ≤ 4x+7
3x ≤ 15
x ≤ 5

-(7x-8) ≤ 4x+7
-7x+8 ≤ 4x+7
1 ≤ 11x
1/11 ≤ x

So combining the two inequalities:

1/11 ≤ x ≤ 5

EDIT: Your routine to find x >= 1/11 is fine; however, you reversed an inequality in finding x <= 5 when dividing by 3. The inequality will only be reversed if you multiply or divide by a negative number.

Your answer happens to be correct, but I think you need to be a bit more careful with your method here.

Your first case is when 7x-8 is nonnegative which implies x >= 8/7:
|7x-8| ≤ 4x+7

7x-8 ≤ 4x+7
3x ≤ 15
x ≤ 5

That isn't the correct solution for this case. You should have:
8/7 ≤ x ≤ 5

Now your second case is when 7x - 8 is negative, so x ≤ 8/7:
-(7x-8) ≤ 4x+7
-7x+8 ≤ 4x+7
1 ≤ 11x
1/11 ≤ x

Again, that isn't correct. It should be 1/11 ≤ x ≤ 8/7

The union of these two solution sets gives the correct answer. You don't combine your two inequalities. You take the union of the solution sets which, for your sets, would have given the wrong answer.

Yes I understand now. Thank you for helping.

Related to Solve Linear Inequality: ABS Value(7x-8) <=4x+7

1. What is a linear inequality?

A linear inequality is an inequality that involves a linear function, meaning a function in the form of y = mx + b, where m and b are constants. These inequalities often have a variable on one side and a constant on the other side, and the variable can take on multiple values that satisfy the inequality.

2. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is a mathematical notation that represents the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, and it can be written as |x|.

3. How do you solve a linear inequality with an absolute value?

To solve a linear inequality with an absolute value, you first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you can split the inequality into two separate inequalities, one with the expression inside the absolute value set equal to the positive value, and one with the expression set equal to the negative value. Finally, you solve each inequality separately and combine the solutions to find the final solution set.

4. What does it mean when an absolute value is less than or equal to a number?

When an absolute value is less than or equal to a number, it means that the distance between the number and zero is less than or equal to the given number. In other words, the number falls within a certain range on the number line, and the range includes both positive and negative values.

5. How do you graph a linear inequality with an absolute value?

To graph a linear inequality with an absolute value, you first graph the corresponding linear function without the absolute value. Then, you can use the solutions to the inequality to determine which part of the graph should be shaded. If the inequality includes the equal sign, the boundary line should be included in the shaded region. Otherwise, the boundary line should be excluded from the shaded region.