Solve Mass of Glider with Harmonic Motion Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mass of a glider oscillating on a frictionless, horizontal air track, using the given force constant and acceleration graph. The equation T = 2pi√(m/C) is used to find the period of the sine wave, and after several attempts, the correct mass is found to be 5.43. However, there is still some uncertainty about the process and further clarification is needed.
elsternj

Homework Statement

On a frictionless, horizontal air track, a glider oscillates at the end of an ideal spring of force constant 2.20 N/cm . The graph in the figure shows the acceleration of the glider as a function of time.
Find the mass of the glider.

YF-13-31.jpg

Homework Equations

T= 2pi[tex]\sqrt{m/C}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

2.2 N/cm = 220 N/m
C=220

.4 = 2pi[tex]\sqrt{m/220}[/tex]
m = 1389

I know I'm doing something wrong but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much is the period of the sine wave ?

would it be .2s? when it passes back through O and to where it started?

I tried .2 and .3. are any of these the right time for period? If so then my problem lies elsewhere. any insight? thanks

okay i see now. .10 is the time for a period.

so .10 = 2pi [tex]\sqrt{m/220}[/tex]

multiply both sides by [tex]\sqrt{220}[/tex]

1.48 = 2pi[tex]\sqrt{m}[/tex]

divide both sides by 2pi

2.43 = [tex]\sqrt{m}[/tex]

square both sides

m = 5.43 which is still the wrong answer.

is my math wrong? what exactly am i doing wrong?

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium point.

2. How is harmonic motion related to the mass of the glider?

The mass of the glider affects the frequency and amplitude (or size) of the harmonic motion. A heavier glider will have a lower frequency and a larger amplitude, while a lighter glider will have a higher frequency and a smaller amplitude.

3. What is the equation for solving the mass of a glider with harmonic motion?

The equation is: m = (4π^2k)/ω^2, where m is the mass of the glider, k is the spring constant, and ω is the angular frequency. This equation can be derived from Hooke's Law (F = -kx) and the equation for the period of a mass-spring system (T = 2π/ω).

4. How do you find the spring constant and angular frequency for a mass-spring system?

The spring constant can be found by measuring the force required to stretch or compress the spring and dividing it by the displacement. The angular frequency can be calculated using the equation ω = √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the glider.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of solving the mass of a glider with harmonic motion?

The accuracy of the calculation can be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces acting on the glider. It is important to minimize these effects and take multiple measurements to improve the accuracy of the calculated mass.