Solve Matrix A: Homework Equations & Solution

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation was about solving for the matrix A in the equation (AT + 4I)-1 = [-1 1, 2 1]. The person initially attempted to solve it by transposing and inverting, but was unsure if they were on the right track. They were then given the advice to strip away the operations and do the opposite, which led to the correct solution of A = 1/3[-13 2, 1 -11].
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Solve for the Matrix A.
(AT + 4I)-1 = [-1 1, 2 1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how exactly to do this.

Here is what I have done:

(A-1)T = 1/4I + [-1 1, 2 1]

Am I on track?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't look correct, a bit confused to be honest. Do what you always do, if you solve for ##x##: strip everything around it until there will be ##x=...##
E.g. if we have ##4x = 8## we divided by ##4##, the opposite of ##4 \,\cdot \,##; if we have ##4+x=8##, we subtracted ##4##, the opposite of ##4\,+\,##.
Now if we have any function ##f(x)= 8##, we had to apply ##f^{-1}## the opposite of ##f## to get ##x=f^{-1}(f(x))=f^{-1}(8)##.

Your example works the same, only that your ##x## is a matrix ##A##. You have ##f(g(A)+4)=B##, where ##f## is inversion and ##g## is transposition. Now strip ##f##, then ##+4## and at last ##g## by doing the opposite.

fresh_42 said:
Doesn't look correct, a bit confused to be honest. Do what you always do, if you solve for ##x##: strip everything around it until there will be ##x=...##
E.g. if we have ##4x = 8## we divided by ##4##, the opposite of ##4 \cdot ##; if we have ##4+x=8##, we subtracted ##4##, the opposite of ##4+##.
Now if we have any function ##f(x)= 8##, we had to apply ##f^{-1}## the opposite of ##f## to get ##x=f^{-1}(f(x))=f^{-1}(8)##.

Your example works the same, only that our ##x## is a matrix ##A##. You have ##f((g(A)+4)=B##, where ##f## is inversion and ##g## is transposition. Now strip ##f##, then ##+4## and at last ##g## by doing the opposite.
I solved it, I realized I was doing it completely wrong which confused me as a result. The answer is 1/3[-13 2, 1 -11]. Thank you.

Related to Solve Matrix A: Homework Equations & Solution

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to represent a set of data or equations.

2. How do I solve a matrix?

To solve a matrix, you need to perform a series of mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, on the elements of the matrix. These operations are done according to specific rules and properties of matrices.

3. What are the steps for solving a matrix?

The general steps for solving a matrix include identifying the type of matrix, performing any necessary operations to simplify the matrix, and then using techniques such as row reduction or matrix inversion to find the solution. It is important to follow the specific rules and properties of matrices to ensure an accurate solution.

4. What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, identity matrices, zero matrices, and diagonal matrices. Each type has its own unique properties and rules for solving.

5. Can a matrix have more than one solution?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple solutions depending on the type of matrix and the operations performed on it. Some matrices may have infinite solutions, while others may have a finite number of solutions. It is important to check the consistency and uniqueness of a matrix solution to determine if there are multiple solutions.