Solve Probability Homework: Intro to Venn Diagrams and Sets

In summary, the problem states that in a class of 100 students, 50 have MasterCards, 60 have Visas, and 30 have neither. Using the given equations, it is determined that 40 students have both cards, 20 have a Visa only, and 70 have at least one card. It is also concluded that the events of having a Visa and having a MasterCard are not disjoint.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Hi. I've been reading my probability book and I came across this problem:

In a class of 100 students, 50 have MasterCards, 60 have Visas, and 30 have neither.

Let ##V## be the event of having a Visa and ##M## be the event of having a MasterCard.

a) How many students have both cards?
b) How many students have Visa only?
c) How many students have at least one of the cards?
d) Are ##M## and ##V## disjoint?

Homework Equations

##P(A \cup B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B)##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first experience with formal probability, so I will show you what I have come up with, and hopefully it is reasonable.

a) How many students have both cards?

This question reduces to asking what is ##P(V \cap M) * 100##? Re-arranging the relevant equation:

$$P(V \cup M) = P(V) + P(M) - P(V \cap M)$$
$$P(V \cap M) = P(V) + P(M) - P(V \cup M)$$

Now we know ##P(V' \cap M') = P((V \cup M)') = 0.30 \Rightarrow P(V \cup M) = 0.70##. We also know ##P(V) = 0.60## and ##P(M) = 0.50##. Therefore:

$$P(V \cap M) = 0.60 + 0.50 - 0.70 = 0.40$$

Hence 40 students have both cards.

b) This question reduces to asking what is ##P(V \cap M')##?

So we know:

$$P(V \cup M) = P(M) + P(V \cap M')$$
$$P(V \cap M') = P(V \cup M) - P(M) = 0.70 - 0.50 = 0.20$$

So 20 students should have a visa only.

c) This question reduces to asking what is ##P(V \cup M)##?

From earlier ##P(V \cup M) = 0.70##. So 70 students have at least one card.

d) No ##V## and ##M## are not disjoint because ##V \cap M \neq \emptyset##.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right to me. You should be able to check your answers with a Venn diagram.

1. What is a Venn diagram and how does it relate to probability?

A Venn diagram is a visual representation of sets and their relationships to one another. It consists of overlapping circles, with each circle representing a set and the overlapping region representing the elements that are shared between the sets. Venn diagrams are often used in probability to visualize events and their likelihood of occurring.

2. How do I use a Venn diagram to solve probability problems?

To use a Venn diagram to solve probability problems, you first need to identify the sets and their corresponding probabilities. Then, you can use the diagram to see which elements are shared between the sets and calculate the probability of specific events occurring based on the overlap of the circles.

3. What are the key components of a Venn diagram?

The key components of a Venn diagram include the circles representing the sets, the overlap area representing the shared elements, and the labels or numbers inside the circles representing the number of elements in each set.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Venn diagrams for probability?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all possible outcomes in the diagram, which can lead to incorrect probabilities. Another mistake is using the wrong sets or probabilities, so it is important to carefully read the problem and identify the correct information to use in the diagram.

5. Are there any other tools or methods for solving probability problems besides Venn diagrams?

Yes, there are other tools and methods for solving probability problems, such as tree diagrams and the fundamental counting principle. It is important to use the method that best fits the problem at hand and to understand the underlying concepts of probability to effectively solve these types of problems.