Solve Rotational Collision Homework: 100 RPM to 50 RPM

In summary, the problem involves a 2kg, 0.2m diameter turntable rotating at 100rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 0.5kg blocks fall from above and hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of the diameter, sticking to it. The question is to find the turntable's angular velocity just after the blocks stick. The solution involves using the conservation of angular momentum and moment of inertia equations, but care must be taken to convert between rotations and radians per second. The final answer is 5.24 rad/s or 50rpm.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

A 2kg , 0.2 m diameter turntable rotates at 100 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 0.5 kg block fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of the diameter, and stick. What is the turntable's angular velocity (in rpm) just after?

Homework Equations

L= I x ω
Li = Lf
Moment of inertia for disk I = (1/2) MR2
Moment of inertia for point mass = MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 100 rpm to rotations per sec by dividing by 60 which gives me (5/3).
I thought about the problem and came up with the idea of conservation of angular momentum so
Li = Lf.

Li = I x ω= (1/2)MR2 x ω. I am confused. The answer has to be in rpm but ω has the SI units of rad/s. Does unit consistency play a role here since I have ω on both sides of the equation.

I thought that before doing it with numbers, using only variables to make sure I understand what I am doing.

Lf= Isys x ωf So my question here is, does this reflect what is happening when the blocks stick to the plate? I reasoned that the blocks added moment of inertia to the system.

I continued and
Isys = [((1/2)MR2 x ω) + ( MBlock R2 + MBlock R2)].

Is that correct?

Then I set them equal with Li =Lf
and solved for angular velocity.

I continued and plugged in the given values and got a completely different answers. I feel like my approach is missing out on something.
The problem gave the answer which is 5.24 rad/sec or 50rpm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soniteflash said:

Homework Statement

A 2kg , 0.2 m diameter turntable rotates at 100 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 0.5 kg block fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of the diameter, and stick. What is the turntable's angular velocity (in rpm) just after?

Homework Equations

L= I x ω
Li = Lf

I converted 100 rpm to rotations per sec by dividing by 60 which gives me (5/3).
I thought about the problem and came up with the idea of conservation of angular momentum so
Li = Lf.

Li = I x ω= (1/2)MR2 x ω. I am confused. The answer has to be in rpm but ω has the SI units of rad/s. Does unit consistency play a role here since I have ω on both sides of the equation.

I thought that before doing it with numbers, using only variables to make sure I understand what I am doing.

Lf= Isys x ωf So my question here is, does this reflect what is happening when the blocks stick to the plate? I reasoned that the blocks added moment of inertia to the system.

I continued and

Is that correct?

I continued and plugged in the given values and got a completely different answers. I feel like my approach is missing out on something.
There should be no ω in this expression for moment of inertia.

Isys = [((1/2)MR2 × ω) + ( MBlock R2 + MBlock R2)].

Is that correct?

Likes Soniteflash
Soniteflash said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L= I x ω
Li = Lf

Careful, rotations per second is not the same as radians per second. How many radians in a rotation?
Li = Lf.

Since rpm and radians per second are related by a proportionality constant you can get away with using "100 rpm" as the angular velocity in your equations. Note that the value you get for angular momentum will have "funny units" as a result, but that's resolved when you solve for the new angular velocity where the results will be in rpm.

Yes, that's right.
I continued and

Is that correct?
There's no "ω" in the moment of inertia calculation. ω gets involved when you are looking for the angular momentum.

Your problem may be due to the extraneous "ω" in your moment of inertia calculation, but it's hard to tell without seeing more of your intermediate steps.

I see the mistake with omega!
For the conversion from rotations to radians. So i got the proportionality constant which gives me the number of rotations per second (5/3 rotations per sec). Then I can can multiply the PC by 2 PI and that gives me the radians?

Soniteflash said:
I see the mistake with omega!
For the conversion from rotations to radians. So i got the proportionality constant which gives me the number of rotations per second (5/3 rotations per sec). Then I can can multiply the PC by 2 PI and that gives me the radians?
You can. So what's your value for radians per second?

Oh my I forgot about this.
I apologize.
The value for radians per second: 10.47 rad/s

What is rotational collision?

Rotational collision is a type of collision that occurs between objects that are rotating or have angular motion. In this type of collision, the objects involved may experience a change in their rotational speed or direction.

How do you calculate rotational speed?

Rotational speed, also known as angular velocity, can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (the change in angle) by the time taken. It is typically measured in radians per second.

What is the difference between RPM and angular velocity?

RPM (revolutions per minute) is a unit of measurement for rotational speed, while angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. RPM is used more commonly in everyday situations, while angular velocity is used more frequently in scientific calculations.

How do you solve rotational collision homework?

To solve rotational collision homework, you will need to use conservation of angular momentum and energy principles. This involves setting up equations and solving for the unknown variables, such as the final rotational speed of the objects involved.

Can you provide an example of solving rotational collision homework?

Yes, for example, if an object with an initial rotational speed of 100 RPM collides with another object with an initial rotational speed of 50 RPM, and they stick together after the collision, you can use the conservation of angular momentum equation to calculate the final rotational speed. In this case, the final rotational speed would be 67 RPM (100 RPM + 50 RPM, divided by 2).